anybody breeding inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not on purpose!

After my tank cycled, I added astrea and trochus snails. After a couple months, I noticed one of the trochus one night, perched on a rock right in front of a powerhead. It wasn't a "normal" place for a snail, so it caught my eye. Just as I moved in closer to look, it released a smokey/cloudy stream from under it's shell. It did this 5 or 6 times. I figured it was "casting its seed" so to say, but didn't think much more of it.

Fast forward a couple months later, and I start to see some really tiny baby trochus snails scooting around. Fast forward a couple more months later, and I now have about a dozen small 1/4" inch diameter trochus snails, and a couple 1/2" diameter trochus snails. Go figure. They're awesome though... they're getting into spots on my rock that have never been touched!

I've also spotted a couple baby astreas... maybe 1/4" in diameter, but never saw that dirty deed.

Someone here mentioned on a different post that conditions aren't right in home aquariums to reproduce and that any baby snails we see are just hitchikers from the original live rock. I don't buy it in my case. It's just too coincidental that shortly after I see a spawning event, baby snails of the same type show up. And the baby snails I'm seeing just happen to be the two exact kind I put in my tank to start with.

If you're looking for specific info, I probably can't help you much. Here's my water parameters for what it's worth...

SG 1.024-1.025
pH 8.2-8.3
Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates 0.0
Phosphates 0.0
Ca 380-410 ppm
Alk 8-9 dKh
Mg 1200 ppm

Lighting Schedule (196W on a 46gallon)
Actinics - 9:30am until 9:00pm
10k - 10:00am until 8:00pm
blue LED moonlights - 9:00pm until 8:00am

...and I don't have anything that'll munch little snails. Only a O. Clown and a Bangaii Cardinal.

I just started my tank a little over a month ago. After it finished cycling, I actually added a cup of live sand from anther tank anyway. In the sand he gave me, I found a bunch of snail shells, two of which were still alive. Those two ceriths have about 100 baby snails crawling on the glass right now...I was going to add some more snails to the tank, but I guess they took care of it for me!

I`ll see alot of eggs on the side of the glass and most end up as fish food. I`ve seen a few make it but not many.

Back
Top Bottom