anybody know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you didn't specifically buy it, it is probably just a common pond snail that was a stowaway on some plants or a new aquarium decoration. They are no problem as long as there arn't two, as they will breed uncontrolably.

Looks something simular to a Malayan snail, but I don't actually know much of anything about snails I don't keep them. Good luck he/she is a pretty snail.
?

Chris.

Common pond snail, no doubt. The Malaysian snails are much pointier, more like an ice cream cone.

Very pretty colors on that one though, all of mine are brown or black.

so... one snail in a tank is ok? I heard they also crawl out like the crayfish do occassionally?

so... one snail in a tank is ok? I heard they also crawl out like the crayfish do occassionally?

It really depends what you want. many snails, you'll be overrun with them in no time, and not sure, but I think they can either show up already to lay eggs, or lay fertile eggs with no partner. If you want none, get rid of it now!

Inso far as crawling out, I have some japanese trapdoor snails that crawl out, but very rarely. pond snails stay in the water, IME.

I've tried to stay away from snails just because I've heard too many horror stories about them. Some kinds of snails can reproduce asexually, without a partner. On one of my forums there was a person that had to clean the impellor and his filter every day because there were so many of them. When it gets to the point of having to pick them out, or borrow a loach from someone... that's just too much. I'd rather not bother with them just to be safe :)

Back
Top Bottom