Anyone else see this with neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 10 neon tetras about 3 months ago from Pet Smart. Much to my surprise they were very healthy and all survived. They are currently in my 20g planted betta tank.

Every time I feed them flake a few of them end up gulping air and have a problem swimming down for a few minutes until they get it out of their system. Does anyone else see their neons doing that?

ive heard it causes some swim bladder problems. maybe take small cup, fill it with tank water.. sink the flakes in that and then dump that in the water so they wont be able to peck the surface and get air?

I break the flake up to Itty bitty bite sized pieces for them..
I'm shocked you went 10/10..that's amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I break the flake up to Itty bitty bite sized pieces for them..
I'm shocked you went 10/10..that's amazing!

I know, it surprised the heck out of me. I expected maybe 5 of them to live not all 10. It's actually a tank where I don't do water changes on as well. Just a sponge filter and top offs. I just remove the excessive buildup of frogbit every week or so and the tank is good.

I had the same problem with one of my rusty cichlids as well during feeding time. I just tapped on the side of the tank scaring him which made him spit the air bubble out.

I'm starting to wonder.. I'm staring a new thread about something before I hijack..

I had this problem with my neons in my 10g when I started... Now in my 29g, I take the flakes, crush them with my fingers, then put them under the water, so the flakes don't float on surface and they can eat very quick... Problem's gone.

The fishs were kind of trying to swimg to the bottom of the tank, but they weren't able to, they were stuck near the surface...

Also you may try to altern the food you give ? Freezed Blood worms is great for them. I know cubes are big and you can't feed them 1 cube. You can take 1-2 cube, melt it in a bit of water in a plastic container, mix up, put it back to the freezer, then crush the plate you get, so you can feed them 1/10 of a cube for feeding time.

That's what I do for my fishs, mixing 2-3 cubes of freezed BW, 2 cubes of brine shrimps, 1 cube of mysis shrimps, a bit of crushed flakes, and crushed sinking pellets (for my corys). I melt that in a plastic container...

Look like this first...
204897DSC04711.jpg

As you can see, i've put too much water in the mix for this batch, so I got giants portions, I cutted them with a hammer after all...
951970DSC04712.jpg

I have a whisper filter and will crunch my flakes up and drop them in the outflow of the filter so it pushes them down in the current. Most of my fish seem to prefer this method as they are mid and low dwellers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never noticed it with my tetras. I actually am starting to relate my tetras to mini piranhas the way they feed in a frenzy, churning the surface and all. You can hear it too.

I've never noticed it with my tetras. I actually am starting to relate my tetras to mini piranhas the way they feed in a frenzy, churning the surface and all. You can hear it too.
Haha thats funny isn't it? My mbuna used to bounce off the lid :D

I've always had this with my neons in my 10g. As everyone else states, just let it soak a bit first!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

The little top water hits from their tiny mouths?!?! Its a good time:) even better when a 5lb. Largemouth bass hits a prop bait doing 5 knots... THWAPPP

The little top water hits from their tiny mouths?!?! Its a good time:) even better when a 5lb. Largemouth bass hits a prop bait doing 5 knots... THWAPPP

I know what you mean summer time Aussie bass fishing is the best. Barramundi is even better they actually make a "boof" sound when they try to inhale 4-5 inch lures

Back
Top Bottom