Anyone have a pufferfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea its a new model with bigger wheels than the 330. Basicly the same though.

Biowheels would not encourage the levels of Nitrates? I guess I am just reading misleading threads and articles here and there. I could've sworn things like bioballs and biowheels will need regular cleaning in saltwater applications. I know for a fact that you shouldn't mess with biowheels in a freshwater application. But I've heard differently over salt water.

Please do correct me.

AMANIQU77 said:
I know for a fact that you shouldn't mess with biowheels in a freshwater application.
Please explain why you think so?

Bio-Wheels do just what they are designed to do and that is to create bacteria to complete the nitrogen cycle just as any wet/dry filter would. Bacteria is created whether you use fresh, brackish, or saltwater and the amount of bacteria is in direct proportion to the bio-load in the tank.

Most of the Bio-Wheels receive the water after it’s gone through a basic filter/GAC filtration unit so essentially it never becomes clogged. The only exception to this is if you hook the Bio-Wheel up directly to a power head in which you should have a pre-filter/sponge put on the ph to avoid clogging.

It is extremely efficient at taking the toxic nh3/no2 and converting it to the less toxic no3 due to the large surface area and it constantly being exposed to oxygen. It can only create no3 from the nh3/no2 present in the tank and can not produce no3 on it’s own.

Any filtration unit can become clogged with improper maintenance and lead to excessive no3 due to the non-removal of excess waste which leads to excessive nh3 levels.

After using the Bio-Wheel for over 10 years in FW, Brackish, & SW I’ve never experienced no3 above 10 ppm and routinely keep it at 0 ppm by diligently cleaning the unit (About every 3 weeks) and by not overstocking/overfeeding my tanks. It’s easy to maintain/setup and is a great addition or alternative to SW tank owners who don’t want to use or fully depend on lr for bio-filtration.

IMO the whole argument about Bio-Wheels being “nitrate factories” is baseless and without warrant. They simply do the job they were created to do as any other bio-filtration would. If people would give them half a chance they would see the results for themselves and stop relying on hear say to form their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom