Anyone have any idea what kind of fish this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LazySlacker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recieved this fish at the same time as two other fish who I have recently had to give away. I got it because at the time the fish was very small and the store owner that got the fish out of the tank for me did not notice him. As a result I have no idea what kind of fish it is. I've had it since about June. Please note that I'm referring to the fish in the background of this picture and not the one closer to the camera. I know what kind of fish that is (a red wag-tail platy). Sorry about the poor quality of my picture. I don't have a very nice digital camera.

Attachments

• dscf21911bc.jpg
    dscf21911bc.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 131
I've never seen any male feeder guppies look like that. It looks like a cross between an endler and guppy. Wild guppy seems appropriate.

Male feeder guppy, probably somehow migrated its way from the feederfish tank. Not bad fish though, cheap if nothing else. lol

That fish almost definitely has some Endler's in him, which are commonly mixed in with feeder guppies, and crosses between the two are common. That one is a male.

I'm still confused as to the difference between the endlers and the wild guppies. The endlers seem a bit brighter..i just don't think i could find an endlers in a tank of guppies.

You could spot a pure Endler's in a tank of guppies, but only the male. The females are just about identical to female guppies, except female Endler's are a golden color rather than plain silver/gray color. Those vivid, almost fluorescent spots on the fish that Lazyslacker got are the giveaway. I have Endler's that I thought were pure, but their offspring are starting to get a fanned out, flowy tail, and now I know they are mixed with guppy somewhere along the line. The fish are quite similar, and it is not uncommon to see crosses, most commonly in a tank of feeders.

Back
Top Bottom