anyone kayak fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kayak, but I do not fish and I know very little about fishing. If you have questions about the kayaking part I may be able to help. :)

Ahh well the only way id be able to transport my kayak would be a cadillac deville. I was thinking of buying one of those racks that attach to the top of the car and attaching a kayak rack to that.
How do you transport yours?
And also I was wondering if I had to worry about the kayak being longer than my car.

I've kinda been dreaming of this for a few years and I think I'm gonna get one within the next few months.

We have a Ford Explorer SUV that has a roof rack, and we bought something called a Big Stack from Yakima that attaches to the cross bars on the roof rack. It's basically a kit with 2 arms that fold down when you aren't using them. There are hooks on top of the arms where the straps go, and you can carry 2 kayaks with them. There are also kayak "cradles" that attach to the roof rack, that probably let you avoid scratching the heck out of your roof unlike the Big Stack.

If we had a roof rack, we could carry the kayaks on our Camry. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry one on the Caddy. The only thing stopping us is that those roof racks (at least the Yakima and Thule brands) are VERY expensive, like $500-600 I think.

Just as a warning, I saw a video on the news today about a man and his son kayak fishing and they hooked a 7 foot shark lol

Well i dont fish from a kayak but we use kayaks for shark fishing from shore to deploy our baits several hundreds yards away from shores

i kayak fish with my dad when we go on vacation,ask and ill try to help

severum mama said:
We have a Ford Explorer SUV that has a roof rack, and we bought something called a Big Stack from Yakima that attaches to the cross bars on the roof rack. It's basically a kit with 2 arms that fold down when you aren't using them. There are hooks on top of the arms where the straps go, and you can carry 2 kayaks with them. There are also kayak "cradles" that attach to the roof rack, that probably let you avoid scratching the heck out of your roof unlike the Big Stack.

If we had a roof rack, we could carry the kayaks on our Camry. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry one on the Caddy. The only thing stopping us is that those roof racks (at least the Yakima and Thule brands) are VERY expensive, like $500-600 I think.

I saw a roof rack from thule on the internet that was about $50 yesterday. It had 1 inch diameter crossbars.

Dbrown4u said:
Just as a warning, I saw a video on the news today about a man and his son kayak fishing and they hooked a 7 foot shark lol

That would be great! I would feel so accomplished

Dbrown4u said:
Yea Especially for the kid going to school the next day, I'm sure he made a lot of friends from that haha

Hahaha yeah. That kid was little he mustve flipped out.

the kayak fishing trend has been getting more and more popular up here in the panhandle in the past few years. Our local fishing forum has almost daily kayak reports.

Looks like a great idea, I'm seriously considering it once I get the money to get a nice kayak. It's nice because it costs nothing to operate, it's good exercise, and doesn't require registration/insurance etc.

I saw a roof rack from thule on the internet that was about $50 yesterday. It had 1 inch diameter crossbars.

That's a great deal, I am assuming you saw it on the List of Craig? :D

One thing to watch out for is that the parts that attach the rack to the car are model specific, I believe. Those parts, iirc, are about as expensive as the rack itself. Still, would be worth an email or phone call.

severum mama said:
That's a great deal, I am assuming you saw it on the List of Craig? :D

One thing to watch out for is that the parts that attach the rack to the car are model specific, I believe. Those parts, iirc, are about as expensive as the rack itself. Still, would be worth an email or phone call.

Oh I think it attached to the handles underneath in the inside of the car with straps and hooks. I just googled car rack

jetajockey said:
the kayak fishing trend has been getting more and more popular up here in the panhandle in the past few years. Our local fishing forum has almost daily kayak reports.

Looks like a great idea, I'm seriously considering it once I get the money to get a nice kayak. It's nice because it costs nothing to operate, it's good exercise, and doesn't require registration/insurance etc.

Yeah, I've been wanting to for a long time. It seems like it'd be a great escape. And I like how you can just be alone on the water. I have a lake 15 mins away and another 30 mins away.

Haha yeah, the difference between a kayak and a boat is like a bike and a car

I was under the impression that the crossbars sit up a few inches off the roof of the vehicle, on top of the 4 pieces that hold them onto your car. I haven't seen a universal one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom