Anyone Know what This Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure about first one, but the second is a pond snail. I keep them in my 10 gallon planted and when there are too many, I crush them up with my magnetic algae scrapped and let my fish eat them. They love eating escargo! Without the shell of course.

First one is a ramshorn snail and the second is a pond snail. Both can become pests if the system is over fed.

Take them out as you find them, you really can eradicate them this way with persistence. In the future, dip all incoming plants

Take them out as you find them, you really can eradicate them this way with persistence. In the future, dip all incoming plants

I've tried I have way to many now, I'll maybe by a Pleco or a bristle nose apparently they help! Heading to my LFS to enquirer now!

Thanks for everyone's help though I was freaking out!! Lol

I've tried I have way to many now, I'll maybe by a Pleco or a bristle nose apparently they help! Heading to my LFS to enquirer now!

Thanks for everyone's help though I was freaking out!! Lol

I hope they don't sell you a pleco or BN because they won't help you. Weigh down a slice of cucumber or lettuce leaf etc when you turn the lights out check back in a couple of hours and they should be swarming the vegie. Take it (and its cargo of escargo ;-)) out of the tank with a net. Keep your gravel clean with regular vacuuming and try to resist giving that extra pinch of food. you may have to repeat the process depending on how bad your problem is, but its better than adding a fish you don't really want, to fix a problem it can't help with, and that is going to disproportionately add to your tanks bioload.

I'm a MASSIVE fan of all plecos, but you have to have them because you love them for what they are, not for what you want them to do :)

Well I got two yo yo ( Pakistani) loaches they look really cute and are active, I only have 4 small tetras as my tanks only two months old, so on top of helping my snail problem I think they will be welcome additions to my fishy home :)

Thanks for advice!!

Well I got two yo yo ( Pakistani) loaches they look really cute and are active, I only have 4 small tetras as my tanks only two months old, so on top of helping my snail problem I think they will be welcome additions to my fishy home :)

Thanks for advice!!

Not sure what size tank you have, but if size allows, you could get a couple more when your tank is more mature- the are even crazier in groups. Prepared to have more than just the occasional heart attack when you see them lying motionless on their sides or draped over a leaf. They get some weird kick out of playing dead! Lol

Mine didn't eat snails, but perhaps if you withhold food, and crush a couple they'll learn to eat them?

Not sure what size tank you have, but if size allows, you could get a couple more when your tank is more mature- the are even crazier in groups. Prepared to have more than just the occasional heart attack when you see them lying motionless on their sides or draped over a leaf. They get some weird kick out of playing dead! Lol

Mine didn't eat snails, but perhaps if you withhold food, and crush a couple they'll learn to eat them?

Well the LFS said they would be effective snail eaters!! So we shall see, I've reduced my feeding so I think that will also help my snail problem!

I see they are very active and are already sucking around the place lol

I only have a 130 litre tank and eventually want to get a few Gourami's

Yoyo loach are very personal, they will remeber you. Mine always seem happy to see me when i come in the room and always fallowing me from one side of the tank to the other. For gouramis, look into powder blue and sunfire gouramis you might like them.

Yoyo loach are very personal, they will remeber you. Mine always seem happy to see me when i come in the room and always fallowing me from one side of the tank to the other. For gouramis, look into powder blue and sunfire gouramis you might like them.

I'm looking forward to that lol it's cute, my tetras aren't very friendly at all!!

And yes the dawf gourami's in powder blue and sun fire are gorgeous and these are the ones I'm looking at getting! But want my tank to be a bit more established first..

Reading the sick fish thread has scared me! So many diseases and problems that can invade a tank :-|

Set up a Quarantine tank, so if the new fish does have anything you can treat it there instead of taking the chance of infecting you hole tank

Back
Top Bottom