Anyone know what this stuff is??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank is a 65 gallon with 30 gallon sump/fuge has been running for 6 weeks.This stuff is starting to appear. Diatoms have allready passed. Maybe cyno algea? Im not sure all water parimeters are great.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1448503126581.jpg
    1448503126581.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1448503147399.jpg
    1448503147399.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 145
I can't see the photos well but it looks like cyano. Is there anything on the sand bed similar? My second thought was that it looks a bit like coraline but phone app makes it difficult to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No same lighting. It might be left over diatoms but i just wanted to be sure

high. About 2400gph and that part has the most flow because its the highest point in the tank

at 6 weeks in diatoms (gold/brown dusty looking stuff) are to be expected and not really a cause for major concern. They will die out on their own as they utilize the free silica in the water. It's often more of a pain in the butt to try and control them rather then just letting it run it's course.
Also flow has little impact on diatoms, but UV sterilization does help a bit.

It does look like the starting of some cyano on the top of rocks, the pink/reddish patches.
Is their livestock in the tank currently?
What/how much are you feeding?

getting cyano 6 weeks into a new setup isn't good, it indicates that there are too many nutrients in the water column, and you shouldn't have that issue so early unless a lot of organic matter/food has been put into the tank.

Is this a tank that was moved/reset-up or something? I notice spots of coralline on the walls. If you used materials from another setup, was the rock/sand clean?
Just trying to understand why you have cyano starting so soon.

Overall though, relax, you've got at least another 6 months to go before everything really settles down and achieves a good equilibrium.

Tomato clown and a few blue green chromis. I feed once a day. The tank was an older system that i rebuilt. I run gfo and grow macroalgea in the sump. Im gonna guess the nutrients are from the older rock and sand. I probably didnt clean it good enough.

All water parimeters are good. Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0.03
Calcium 420ppm
Dkh 8.5
Magnesium 1400ppm
Temp 79° F
Lights on 7 hours a day

Tomato clown and a few blue green chromis. I feed once a day. The tank was an older system that i rebuilt. I run gfo and grow macroalgea in the sump. Im gonna guess the nutrients are from the older rock and sand. I probably didnt clean it good enough.

that would explain a lot.
patience is key here I'm thinking as you already know what's going on.

if you can't get a handle on it you may want to consider new clean substrate before it goes much further.
The rock is fine by now, it's the sand that can hide a lot of stuff.
If you cleaned/rinsed it until the water was clear, it should have been ok.
The only other concern with using old sand is if it's ph buffering capabilities have been exhausted.

Oh i forgot to mention its a 6 inch sand bed

I would like to avoid getting new sand of i have to the girlfriend would kill me if i spend more money on this thing lol

6 week old tank is still a new tank, and can take a month or so to get rid of all the silicates. Not to worry, nothing to do, they will go away when the silicates are gone.

Disturbing a 6" sand bed could of released all sorts of issues you would at this stage be better of replacing it with new in my opinion.

Also in marine keeping nothing good happens fast :)

A little off topic but anway this is the cheato algea i got a few weeks ago and this green leaf stuff is growing 3 times faster than the cheato. Do you guys know what it is and if its bad?

Attachments

• 1448750186718.jpg
    1448750186718.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 78
I didnt even see it when i bought the cheato that photo is 2 weeks old theres tons more attached to that ball now

Back
Top Bottom