Anyone know what's up with this betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my females has had this odd growth on her for a while, and I just wanted to see if anyone might have an idea what it is. Its only on one side and its huge. She acts fine, swims fine, and eats fine. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. So what do you think? Tumor? Is she egg bound?

img_2528749_0_728d3a246f0b2227e257a825134e5c08.jpg

img_2528749_1_793ba04c843b663997704c0b6d29d79e.jpg

And no, her eye isn't messed up - that was just some odd glare from the camera flash.

Thanks, HUKIT. Don't know why that thought didn't occur to me actually. I think I have some laying around, if not I can get some tomorrow. Don't want to dose the whole tank, but I have an old 1.5 gal laying around for a hospital tank. What's a good dose?

Thanks again. Found the salts, and she is in the hospital tank with the salts added.

Any idea what this might be?

Yeah, it's not dropsy - I've dealt with that before. This is also limited to one side of the fish. Her other side is normal. I'm mostly worried that she's egg bound - before she started showing swelling on the one side she was definitely full of eggs, but I didn't breed her since she isn't one of the females with qualities I am looking for in a breeder.

So far I'm not seeing much of a difference, but nothing good happens overnight. Going to change out her water in a little while.

Looks like maybe the swelling has gone down a little today. Might try feeding a pea to her tonight.

Someone suggested to feed bloated bettas mysis (sp) shrimp (frozen) to help bettas. Since they are carnivores, they get no nutrition from peas.

I honestly don't think whatever is up with her is in her digestive tract anyway. To me it looks like a tumor, what with it being restricted to one part of her body. She has been eating fine and acting fine like this for a while now. She has always seemed a bit bigger on that side but lately it's just gotten huge. And yes, I know brine shrimp and mysis shrimp both have lots of roughage and a bit more nutrition than peas, but I trust peas to do a better job of cleaning out a fish's system as it is essentially all roughage. And my bettas go nuts for them - I feed some weekly mostly for my plecos and snails but the bettas go crazy when I drop them in.

So she has been in a hospital tank for over a week with Epsom salts and the swelling hasn't gotten better. Honestly it looks worse. Bigger. I think it's a tumor. Any other ideas? I will be keeping her quarantined for now, but it is looking like euthanasia may be the best option soon. I'm just hoping she doesn't pop.

Just in case she is egg bound try putting a male next to her tank, she might drop eggs then. I've heard of it working before, it's worth a shot :/

Just in case she is egg bound try putting a male next to her tank, she might drop eggs then. I've heard of it working before, it's worth a shot :/

Trying that now. She is floating in with one of my males.

After doing more research after discovering the growth is fluid filled (she swam right under the light and I could see through it) I've determined the likely cause is a buildup of fluid, probably due to a bad kidney. Also discovered that you can lance it to reduce the swelling, so I did. It's a lot smaller now and she is recovering in a betta cup of fresh clean water. Hopefully this will let her move a little easier.

After doing more research after discovering the growth is fluid filled (she swam right under the light and I could see through it) I've determined the likely cause is a buildup of fluid, probably due to a bad kidney. Also discovered that you can lance it to reduce the swelling, so I did. It's a lot smaller now and she is recovering in a betta cup of fresh clean water. Hopefully this will let her move a little easier.

Good luck! Keep us updated

Back
Top Bottom