Anyone Own A Eheim Pro 3 1200XL ( aka 2080 )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased an Eheim Pro 3 1200 XL AKA 2080. It's a monster filter, with very large capacity filter baskets.

I opened up the canister and found a lot of plant particles under the top coarse blue filter pad.

I was under the impression that the water flows from the bottom up. Am I having a lot of blow by, ( water circumventing the filter media ) or does it pass under that filter then go down into the bottom of the filter?

Any help here would be great.

Also, any recommended order of filtering?

I have read, starting in the bottom basket ( coarse, med and fine foam) then Mech ( ceramic noodles ), then sintered glass.

Thanks in advance.....

WTF is the little Alien that appears in the above message???
LMAO

sorry I don't see any :new-alien: alien :new-alien: above your messages

not even a dang UFO for that matter

But for some reason I keep bumping into this dang :ninja: ninja :ninja: guy

he follows me everywhere I go

No worries we allow aliens

now to reality lol

I don't have that filter as I use a sump but
look at the overflow going to the filter that tube releases the water at the bottom than it rises with gravity than it will flow through your filter media and down the waterfall back to the tank

I figured out the alien. When I type the model of Eheim 1200XL, typing 0 then an X is the alien

Right pro 3s drain water from the top throw the blue filter pad the the water goes down the side pipe and filters like Normal

You need to make sure all the rubber rings are in place when you drop the tray back in or the water will bypass each tray

The way to set it up is

Blue filter pad on top

Polos on the bottom tray
2 trays of eheim sub pro
Then a white filter pad on top of the last tray of sub pro

The 2080 is a top filter and 10 x better than fx5

It is designed this way as the only thing you ever need to clean and change it's the blue pre filter and the white pad

I run 2 on my 350 gal and only cleaned the media twice per year and change the white pad at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

T1KARMANN,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that might be the case, but was not sure. The rest of the canister was pretty clean throughout.

I've had this unit on for 5 days now and the tank is far from clear. I have a 125g gravel tank with 15 or so fish. ( cycling ) But I cannot seem to get the tank crystal clear. There is nothing in the tank, but it still is not clear. slightly cloudy.

Have you had a similar problem? is this why you run these in tandem?

I have a 2215 on a 29T and it rocks.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

I am contemplating returning it and getting a 2262......

Eheim have a much larger amount of media than other filters so take much longer to cycle mature
This was the main reason I only ever cleaned the media every 6 months even in my heavy stocked tank

You also need to make sure both drain are draining water the prime button doesn't always get them both started

Disconnect the tap from the filter and put it in a bucket then open the tap you should be getting water out of all 3 drain pipes then the middle one will stop and the other 2 side drains carry on draining water from the tank
Once you are sure the 2 are draining close the tap and plug back into the filter
If only one is draining cover the one that's draining with your thumb and suck the pipe to get that one started
You only need to do this the first time you setup the filter

But you should always put the tap in a bucket open the tap and let the middle pipe fully drain before restarting the filter after cleaning or you will get air trapped in it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep,

I did that on the second day of operation. I like the duel intakes, but so far I am not impressed. I would thinkg
I would think that the floaties would be gone by now. That's just mechanical filtration, isn't it?

6 days and not crystal clear water, for what I paid for the filter, it should be clear, by now......

I have plenty of filter floss in the bottom tray. I think I have bypass, but I have checked the trays to ensure that they are seated.

I've decided to send the 2280 back and have purchased the 2262. This will most definitely solve my problems.

Wahoo..........

Back
Top Bottom