Anyone with leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks I might try that what color spectrum would you say your getting

you get any spectrum you want. the blue and white are independantly controlable. I run mine VERY blue for most of the day but ramp up the whites for midday and growth....check out the video. The factory controler does everything he does.

Do you think I could use the mounting rail and hang two fixtures perpendicular to my tank

yes. you might get som spotlighting though. I would hang them long ways. think of them as a 250 W MH. how would you hand them?

I kind of wanted to try that mounting rail do you think I wouldn't get the spread on a ninety with two fixtures

Can the super blue LEDs by ai sol go all the way blue and if you run the LEDs at 50 percent will they last longer than if you run them at 100 percent

I kind of wanted to try that mounting rail do you think I wouldn't get the spread on a ninety with two fixtures

I personally think the mounting rails are a waste of money but they should work on your 90. I still think you would be better off mounting them long ways.

Can the super blue LEDs by ai sol go all the way blue and if you run the LEDs at 50 percent will they last longer than if you run them at 100 percent

Yes they can all the way blue or all the way white. You will NEVER run them at 100%. The only thing that reduces the life is constantly varying the intensity.....like clould cover, and lightning effects.....but it is so darn cool and the AI's are modular.

Why would you not is it just way to much power

You'll bleach everything in the tank if you go 100%. I have 4 Sol Blues on my 120 and they are incredible and extremely powerful so you will have to start very low and work your way up. I'm only running mine at 40% (tamk is 26"s deep) and find it to be plenty of light.

On another note, Apogee PAR meters are not measuring the blue spectrum of the light correctly (read an email correspondence on another forum from Apogee to the member) from the blue led's so the resulting PAR reading is actually much higher then indicated on their meter so proceed with caution as blue light penetrates the water better than white light so bleaching is still very possible if your settings are more towards the blue side.

InfernoST said:
You'll bleach everything in the tank if you go 100%. I have 4 Sol Blues on my 120 and they are incredible and extremely powerful so you will have to start very low and work your way up. I'm only running mine at 40% (tamk is 26"s deep) and find it to be plenty of light.

On another note, Apogee PAR meters are not measuring the blue spectrum of the light correctly (read an email correspondence on another forum from Apogee to the member) from the blue led's so the resulting PAR reading is actually much higher then indicated on their meter so proceed with caution as blue light penetrates the water better than white light so bleaching is still very possible if your settings are more towards the blue side.

What brand light fixtures are we talking about I want to take a look at them

Do these fixtures have to be run with the remote control and how high should I have my two fixture because I'm building an acrylic stand for them and my tank is 48 x 18 x 24

If you don't have any type of controller they will run at 100%. Get the controller with the lights, it's worth the 70 some odd dollars.

It is correct a correct statement that the blue LEDs reach deeper into the tank than the whites. The whites usually aren't high enough intensity and balancing them out with the blue is a challenge for us reefers.

I found the AI Sols to be too blue for me.

PUR is a better way to talk about LEDs when it comes to coral propagation. Unfortunately very few manufacturers talk about this. It is what is important to our corals. Lots of light put out PAR but if there is very little PUR then our corals won't do well.

what difference does it make what the source of the light is? you only consider photosynthetically usable radiation when talking about LEDs? why?

Back
Top Bottom