API Filstar filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kays1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am using an API Filstar XP1 filter, with a 30 gallon aquarium. My problem is that the actual filtering is dismal (my aquarium has murky green water). I have done everything by the book (yes, I have the inflow and outflow in their correct places). For media, I use two sponges at the bottom (first the coarse, and on top of that the fine), and in the top basket I have two packs of carbonated charcoal. All the media is brand new (two weeks old, at the most), and I've been cleaning it once every three days, nor so. Is it possible it's not making it through the filter? Last time I cleaned it, the sponges just oozed muck, so something must be making it through. What am I doing wrong, because I am just plain out of ideas. Thanks

How long has your tank been set up? Do you have your permitters? A way of testing your water? How often between water changes?do you have an algae boom?
I have one an api canister filter. I've had my tank set up now for 6 months I haven't experience green water. But did have an algae bloomBut I'm no expert, I hope someone can step in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks a lot for your reply. The tank has been setup for roughly eight months. We never emptied it to change all the water, instead we just empty it 3/4 and pour clean distilled water in. We have a number of rocks, which have a fair coating of algae by now, but we also have a plecoe who does a lot of cleaning up. Just as of today, I borrowed two additional filters (not Filstar, of course. these are AquaCkear) from my friend.... I will see if there is a noticeable improvement by morning, but so far I had three filters running in tandem with very marginal results. I really don't want to do a complete water change, as it stresses the fish beyond belief. I will post back tomorrow afternoon, but in the meantime, again thanks for your help, any bit of advice is great! By the way, what are permitters? :) Oh we are about to buy a Ph tester... anything we should be looking out for in terms of excess level... like I said, we are fairly new to this. Thanks

You have several issues going on here, which are probably not related to the filtration system.

How long has the water quality issue been like this?

It sounds to me that you have excessive nutrients in the water. You don't mention other fish than the pleco: how many and what kind of other fish/critters live in the tank?

What do you feed them, how much and how often?

How much light, either sun or from light system, does the tank get each day?

Do you have real plants in the tank?

We never emptied it to change all the water, instead we just empty it 3/4 and pour clean distilled water in.

Distilled water is not appropriate for freshwater fish-it lacks the proper mineral content fish need to maintain health.

Ok, to try to answer your questions in order: To be honest, it was maybe crystal clear for the first two weeks after we set it up :) But seriously, it was only in the past two months or so that the water quality started to seriously deteriorate - right about now it still looks a lot like pea soup. As for the fish, we have about 20 guppies, 6 swordtails, 2 angelfish and one pleco. We feed them Tetra Color flakes - just your average garden variety fish food, once a day always at the same time. As for the light, there is no direct exposure to sunlight, but it gets bright in the daytime. We also have a florescent light mounted above the tank. And finally, no live plants, just a bunch of plastic imitation plants, and some decorative rocks. Oh, in case I didn't mention, we have an oxygenator, currently running, in addition to the three filters. I regret to say, I don't see a marked difference yet, but maybe tomorrow I will replace some of the old water with fresh water and see the result. By the way, I wasn't aware that you should add minerals to your aged water (sorry I didn't mean distilled - we basically just fill a bucket from the tap and let is sit for at least 24 hrs). Thank you so much for all your help, like I said we are quite new at this. Can you recommend a particular product we should use to add to our freshwater? Thanks.

Putting more water feeds the algae plumes or bacteria plumes, either put more beneficial bacteria or get a uv defuser it works. But get the right one that kills only harmful bacteria/ algae.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can run it slow to kill alot of it and than turn it off or run it fast to maintain it in a way

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Api also asks you to replace the sponge in the filter every 2 months. You were stateing that while you were rinsing the sponges that they had oozed out muck. It might help as well. It would be interesting to check your water too.

I have an api canister running for 2 years now with no issues. I also have not changed the sponges at all... I just rinse them in tank water... There is never a need to replace unless they fall apart. It seems to me that there is some other issue going on.

How long is the light on?

Green water is actually a harmless bacteria that grows from excess nutrients and light. No amount of filtration in the world will stop it.

Decreasing the amount of exposure to light will. Possibly decreasing the amount of food you are feeding might help also.

If you are using aged tap water, there is no need to "mineralize."

Api also asks you to replace the sponge in the filter every 2 months. You were stateing that while you were rinsing the sponges that they had oozed out muck. It might help as well. It would be interesting to check your water too.

This will not cure a green water problem: just cleaning the media periodically is sufficient. Changing the sponge media just robs the tank of the beneficial bacteria (not the green water bacteria) that make the tank habitable for your fish.

If there is a lot of muck, clean it more often.

You stated earlier that PWC stresses your fish - it shouldn't stress them that bad.

The fish you have will tolerate water changes just fine - your fish will be healthier with 25-50% PWC weekly.

Mine get 50-90% weekly and are in superior condition - and I run over 1000 gallons of tanks.

Back
Top Bottom