API Master Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrmjrm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

This may be a stupid question, but how do you accurately read the API Master Test Kit??? I've been holding the tubes away from the card so that there are no shadows and light is shining through the test water. Is that right? It seems like the readings can be pretty subjective. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks!

also want a white background. its not real science but as long as you have a general idea for the most part its fine.

I think the instructions state that you're supposed to place the test tube on the right hand side of the card in the blank white space to ensure you have a white background. The more light you have to read it the better.

But like mg said, it's not a perfect test anyway, so just find the color that matches the closest.

I always keep my tube in front of the White background to the right side of the colors, and about 3/4" away from the card.

I've noticed the type of light they are read under makes a huge difference in the cards that are harder to distinguish, like the two orangie colors that seem just about identical on the nitrate card.

The low level ammonia yellow/green is tough too, especially when cycling a tank. I feel your pain on this...

yes , it is hard to identify them sometimes. i always get a second opinion from my fiance, this way shes happy about being involved and also gives a second opinion. lol.

its not a bad test kit. i recommend also getting a gh & kh tester, and also getting a ph up and ph down bottle. ( they come in a ph kit for like $20, instead of buying the small bottles for $14.

They can be difficult to read! I've found to begin with the easiest way is to test the tank water but also test my tap water at the same time. Then you're looking for differences in the two tubes rather than comparing to the colour on the card.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really like the idea of testing the tap water for comparison, that's a good idea. It just seems like I could match the color to several different colors depending on how I hold the test tube. I'm doing a fishless cycle and I think the ammonia test is the hardest to read. I'm just being paranoid because I don't want the ammonia levels to get too high in there.

and also getting a ph up and ph down bottle.

don't bother. messing with the pH will harm more than help anything. just let it be so there is no risk of any pH swings. fish will adjust to almost any pH (within reason)

I use neutral regulator. But do so with caution. It can spike your phosphates in a non-planted tank and give you algae for the rest of your days. I'm also a bit peeved by that API kit's colors. But what can you do.

Back
Top Bottom