API Master test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think someone should do a sticky on how to use, pictures, and tips and tricks on API Master test kit. This would help someone like me, and others that just purchased and then went NOW WHAT? I think some of the more experienced should do this, it sure would help others in different time zones and could take ones time to read and pictures are always helpful!

Oceangirl said:
I think someone should do a sticky on how to use, pictures, and tips and tricks on API Master test kit. This would help someone like me, and others that just purchased and then went NOW WHAT? I think some of the more experienced should do this, it sure would help others in different time zones and could take ones time to read and pictures are always helpful!

Well... What type I questions do you have? Take water from the tank and fill test tub to line. Add say your pH drops(5) and then cap test tube. Shake for say 20 seconds and let sit. Read color in tube and compare to chart. Pretty soon you won't even need the chart.

The nitrAte kit on bottle 2 shake the you know what out of it. Bang it on the floor or counter really good. Shake shake shake. Then add. Shake the tube and read within a few seconds. The longer that test sits I find the redder it will get and therefor giving you a false reading. The API nitrAte test in a true pain IMO the others are pretty much self explanatory.

Hope this helped a little

I have no problem using the kit except the colours always seem to be in between the 2 lowest e.g. Ammonia looks between the yellow and the lightest green, anyone else have this? I just take it as the lowest because it looks very slightly closer to it I have never had any problems and I do 2 PWC a week so I'm guessing it's ok?

I honestly think a sticky on this in the getting started section is a very good idea!!! Alot of people do not READ the directions. I typically see quite a few people who did not know the ammonia & nitrate tests are two-step/bottle tests. Or, the charts for the individual tests have different colors than the master test (whats up with that, API?). Or, if doing a fishless cycle, the nitrite test can give inaccurate results once they reach sky-high levels. Or, ph tests should be after the water has gassed off to have accurate results and tank/pond ph levels can vary from morning to evening. Or not to clean the test tubes with soap. And bang & shake those nitrate bottles. And this can go on and on and on.... :)

Oceangirl said:

Hmmmm... Maybe ill do that lol or someone else, will see. If you have questions just ask ;) ^^^^ convict is very knowledgeable in this testing and water change department lol :)

Huh? Different test other than master test sheet? You mean different to the card with the color chart for each test printed on it? That's what I use

Huh? Different test other than master test sheet? You mean different to the card with the color chart for each test printed on it? That's what I use

Yes, the individual color charts (ie, you buy just the nitrate test, not the whole kit) for some of their tests have different colors/shadings of colors. I dont know if API has rectified this issue yet because I have not bought any tests in awhile.

Oh I didn't know that I just got the whole kit, thanks I will keep that in mind if I ever replace individual tests :)

jlk said:
A lot of people do not READ the directions
^^^^^^^

Excuse me if this comes off rude it is not meant to but... I think that's part of the problem right there.

Maybe of more people read the directions there wouldn't be any issues. The directions are there for a reason. Maybe it's just me but it's a test kit. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. Yes the colors get way close at times but in general it's not that hard.

A sticky on how to properly use your test I can see, a step by step user guide on using the API master test kit. Hmmmm.... Wouldn't that be called directions?

^^^^^^^

Excuse me if this comes off rude it is not meant to but... I think that's part of the problem right there.

Maybe of more people read the directions there wouldn't be any issues. The directions are there for a reason. Maybe it's just me but it's a test kit. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. Yes the colors get way close at times but in general it's not that hard.

A sticky on how to properly use your test I can see, a step by step user guide on using the API master test kit. Hmmmm.... Wouldn't that be called directions?

Lol! Not rude at all! I have no issue reading directions but alot of people do (male ego thing perhaps??). Step by step guide isnt necessary but pointers such as banging the nitrate bottles (not in the directions) or testing for actual ph after it has gassed off vs straight from the tap (not in the directions) or how to interpret results that are not on the color chart (ie, hot pink or grey or white nitrite results) among other pointers would be helpful to someone who is not familiar with using the API tests. :)

I followed the directions that came with the API kit and was told it wasnt enough shaking...
I was told by many on here to shake the bottles for a full 2 minutes and then drop into test tube, shake test tubes for a full 2 minutes and then sit for exactly 5 minutes and then read the results.

?

See for newbies and oldies a picture of a correct test results, banging the heck out of all the bottles when you first get them because who knows how long they sat there. Plus we (community) could point someone in the right direction. What if they are in a different timezone? or don't speak english very well? You show them a picture of what it should look like and bam problem solved. I just don't have the skills/experience myself to make it.

Ps I didn't realize it would start such a long thread! I hope someone does the Sticky though!!

We are all here to help each other, and I know I am a VISUALS learning aid person.

Back
Top Bottom