API master test question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougInPA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a 50% water change. My PH is showing around 7.2 with the PH test but the High PH test is showing a deep purple which would be an 8.8!
Confused!

IMO if the low range registers then it is correct.
No need to use high range unless the low range test was darker then blue...

Weird. When I tested some water with a PH of 6.8-7.0 and used the High PH test, it came out yellow. Not sure why yours was purple.

Low PH test = 3 drops
High PH test = 5 drops

I'd suggest waiting at least an hour and then try reading again.

I did a 50% water change. My PH is showing around 7.2 with the PH test but the High PH test is showing a deep purple which would be an 8.8!
Confused!

Unless you are modifying your tap water or using saltwater, you shouldn't be using the high range PH test. The only time it will be accurate is if your level is higher than the low range test range. Otherwise, it will be giving you false readings.
Don't forget to let your water gas off before taking your Ph test. Right out of the tap will also be different than 24 hours later.

Hope this helps (y)

Don't forget to let your water gas off before taking your Ph test. Right out of the tap will also be different than 24 hours later.

I've heard that too. Right out of the tap, my water is 8.2 - 8.4. If I let it sit for 24 hours with no treatment, it is still 8.2 - 8.4.

Back
Top Bottom