API Quick Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is API quick start a reliable product? I've heard mixed reviews, and I am eager to get my tank set up asap.

Bottled bacteria is hit or miss. It might be worth it to try that bacteria and do a fisbless cycle in hopes of speeding it up as much as possible.

I believe they can go bad, is this correct? I've heard cases where people use quick start bacteria products and it completely crashes the cycle and prolongs the whole process!

I was doing a fishless cycle and after 2 weeks or so I got impatient. I dropped my ammonia from 4ppm to 2ppm with a water change then I added Tetra Safestart and within 2 days my ammonia was .5ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates 5ppm.

I ran to my LFS and picked up a few Danios to finish the cycle. Within the next few days the ammonia was at 0-.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates 10ppm.

I returned the danios and stocked my 29g tank to full capacity over 2 1/2 weeks. My tank went through a mini 24 hour cycle after I put in the last 2 fish. Nitrites jumped to .5ppm and nitrates jumped to between 40-80ppm.

I did 2 pwc's 12 hours apart and added a second filter(Fluval c3). Since then my readings have been 0-0-10 to 20

This was over a period of two months.

That certainly sounds promising! I'm sold now, haha. Thank you very much! :)

Back
Top Bottom