API Root Tabs made water brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpertz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone ever used API Root Tabs for their live Aquarium plants? I noticed that my aquarium plants were not doing too well so I went to my local aquarium shop and one of the guys recommenced these API Root tabs. I put 2 in my 5 Gallon tank under the gravel close to the plant that needed help and a couple hours later my tank water is a brownish yellow cloudy color. I did a partial %20 water change and still the same color. I know the packaging says these tabs are safe, but I'm not sure if this is normal or not and if this is dangerous for the fish.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks.

I have used root tabs in the past but havent noticed a coloration in the water. It wont harm your fish but if you dont like the water color you can always change your substrate.

Do you have an under gravel filter because vie heard of it happening with those since the water is filter through the substrate

No, I have a external hanging filter. I completely burred the tabs under the gravel and noticed a few minutes later a bit of brownish smoky stuff coming out of that area where I placed them, but they are completely under the gravel. Its really wired because the water went from crystal clear to this dark brownish color. I'm a bit worried this might harm the fish.

Never had an issue, but I have sand, not gravel. I'd worry about it causing an algae bloom before the fish would be affected.

Did you put the tabs as deep as possible? The idea is to bury them all the way at the very bottom of the gravel, not have them near the surface.

It may be your gravel is just not deep enough, or else you just didn't bury the tabs deep enough down. You definitely don't want them releasing all their nutrients directly into the water column or you are going to have one heck of an algae issue.

Back
Top Bottom