API root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, all excited as I got home with 3 new plants, a bottle of Florish Excel, and API root tabs. I jumped online quickly to get more details on the depth of the substrate and all the sudden run into several forums saying these have made others water turn murky brown. My substrate is about 2 inches deep. Now I'm afraid to put them in! Any ideas?

If you get them completely buried under the substrate, they will be fine.

I prefer the Flourish tabs myself, but as fort said, if you completely cover them, they won't turn water brown. I just place mine directly under the root system of my swords and pop a new one in every couple months.

Well, all excited as I got home with 3 new plants, a bottle of Florish Excel, and API root tabs. I jumped online quickly to get more details on the depth of the substrate and all the sudden run into several forums saying these have made others water turn murky brown. My substrate is about 2 inches deep. Now I'm afraid to put them in! Any ideas?

You were smart. I got some API root tabs and put them under the gravel but my plant came loose and i messed with the gravel then a huge brown cloud of smoke came out and it took 1 week for the water to clear. Take fort and rookie's advice.(y)

Thanks guys... I have 6 of them buried and so far so good. I do have about half a bag of eco complete left and was thinking of throwing down a thicker substrate. It was hard for me to get the roots buried with the new plants I got. Do you think 2'' is not enough? A lot of my plants are just barely alive. I had so many and I've now redone everything in there. I just worry maybe the substrate needs to be a little deeper. I SO much appreciate your help rookie and fort. I'd pay good money for your wisdom ;)

Thanks guys... I have 6 of them buried and so far so good. I do have about half a bag of eco complete left and was thinking of throwing down a thicker substrate. It was hard for me to get the roots buried with the new plants I got. Do you think 2'' is not enough? A lot of my plants are just barely alive. I had so many and I've now redone everything in there. I just worry maybe the substrate needs to be a little deeper. I SO much appreciate your help rookie and fort. I'd pay good money for your wisdom ;)

IMO your substrate is high enough.

I use Osmocote Plus inside geletin capsules or frozen in ice for ferts. Works great, but when you pull up plants you get little yellow balls of algae steroids on the top of your substrate.

Back
Top Bottom