API test kit results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinafina

Aquarium Advice Activist
I checked my water with my new API master test kit!

My ph is high 7.6
I have 2 fish in my 10g. 1 rainbow and 1 neon tetra should I go about and lower the ph with more chemical?

Ammonia- in between 0.25 & 0.50
Nitrate no2- 0.25
Nitrate no3- good

Should I go about doing weekly water changes with these results? Add some more ammonia detox?
I'd like to add another fish when safe.

I checked my water with my new API master test kit!

My ph is high 7.6
I have 2 fish in my 10g. 1 rainbow and 1 neon tetra should I go about and lower the ph with more chemical?

Ammonia- in between 0.25 & 0.50
Nitrate no2- 0.25
Nitrate no3- good

Should I go about doing weekly water changes with these results? Add some more ammonia detox?
I'd like to add another fish when safe.

Stop right there.....

Ph of 7.6 isn't bad, as long as it's stable. NEVER use chemicals to try to lower the PH..... they don't work. The Ph is driven by the buffers that exist in your water, and any attempt to chemically lower it might drop your Ph temporarily, but the Ph will bounce right back to it's natural balance within a day or two.

Next, if you have ammonia of 0.25 to 0.5, you should be doing water changes every to every other day while your tank is cycling (about 20% to 25% per change). The water changes helps keep the ammonia diluted enough to where it is less stressful on your fish while your beneficial bacteria are growing..... Again, NO CHEMICALS. Don't forget the dechlorinator in the water before it goes into the tank.

Keep testing & water changing regularly until you see readings of:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - These accumulate from the final stage of the natural nitrification process, and regular weekly water changes will keep these at a comfortable level for your fish (depending on your bioload). The max amount for a community tank vary on opinion, but I like to keep mine around 10ppm.

I don't know how long your tank has been set up, but cycling with fish can take upwards of 6 to 8 weeks, so keep at it, and do a LOT of reading around here while you're in the process.

Good Luck...

Question: you said rainbow... rainbow tetra? if it is and you have tetra, a "school" of only 2 then you might consider a few more fish, neons will stay smaller than rainbow tetra and they will definitely be happier if you fill out the school a little.. I would say at least 3 more neons or 2-3 rainbow tetra assuming they all school together, I read that rainbow tetra can be a little aggresive if they are not in a proper school. Just a thought, tell us more about your tank?? what else is in it, type of filtration etc...

I definitely want to build a school of happy fish BUT I guess my tank is still in the process of cycling. I got this tank used. Been up for about 1mo now. And The setup is aqueon? I have live plants and drift wood. I want a bigger and better tank. Staring out like this just because I'm not aqua savvy. Btw, I thought I noticed my rainbow nipping at The terra.

When fish are in a toxic enviroment, which is what an uncycled tank is, their behavior can be dramatically different than is typical for the species. Peaceful fish can become very aggressive because they are in pain.

Also, fish that are not in their recommended school numbers can exhibit the same behavior.

My fish seem happy. Water quality is good but not perfect. Okay to get more fish? Petco okay?

Hold off on getting anymore fish until your done cycling the tank IMO. Getting more Fish will let the water quality get worse faster

Back
Top Bottom