API TEST RESULTS- help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok- hello guys!
Just came home from my LFS. The guy there was super nice and cut me a break on the API master kit freshwater testing kit. I've been going to Petco once a week to have my water tested and they always tell me it's great.

Here are my results:

pH 7.6 YIKES!
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .25-.50 it was in between both colors
Nitrate 10

I did a WC 5 days ago ( Friday)
I added 4 blue angels ( Friday) and 4 panda cory cats ( Monday )

I got a python water changer ( different brand ) today as well as some java moss for my driftwood that I'm going to put in my tank ( either tonight or tomorrow since I have off from work tomorrow)

My pH is extremely high- how do I get that to go down??? Blue Angels like to have much lower pH and I don't want to kill them!!!!!
Are my other levels ok?

Thank you in advance for advice!!!!

I don't see anything wrong with your pH Jersey. Your fine. Stability is more important. You don't want drastic swings in pH. Your good.

Your PH is fine unless it is usually considerably lower in which case you may have a concern, as calfishguy said PH stability is WAY more important than levels.

You have a problem with your nitrite though. I'd do water changes daily till your re-cycled but would say you can expect to lose your pandas sorry.

Do your water changes back to back to your nitrites down and don't count anything out yet IMO I've seen worse and make it. Just jump on those changes temp match the best you can and keep an eye on things.

Forgot to mention, don't do gravel vacs right now. Just get that number down. Gravel vacuuming will only stir up debris and cause even bigger spikes. Slow an steady will win thi one.

I agree about the pH, 7.6 is a good, sort of 'middle of the road' when tank stocking is concerned anyhow.

As far as the nitrite thing goes, it's not enough to be doing back to back water changes over, but it's up to you I guess. You can alleviate nitrite toxicity by adding a small amount of salt to the water. My general recommendation is about 1tsp/5gal tank volume, it doesn't seem to affect any tank inhabitants, including the salt sensitive ones in any negative way.

When dosing any kind of meds though always watch the fish closely and if they start spazzing out or anything then stop dosing and do a pwc just to be safe.

The treatment for nitrite toxicity is ultimately up to you, but it definitely beats doing daily water changes constantly during this phase of the cycle.

jetajockey said:
I agree about the pH, 7.6 is a good, sort of 'middle of the road' when tank stocking is concerned anyhow.

As far as the nitrite thing goes, it's not enough to be doing back to back water changes over, but it's up to you I guess. You can alleviate nitrite toxicity by adding a small amount of salt to the water. My general recommendation is about 1tsp/5gal tank volume, it doesn't seem to affect any tank inhabitants, including the salt sensitive ones in any negative way.

When dosing any kind of meds though always watch the fish closely and if they start spazzing out or anything then stop dosing and do a pwc just to be safe.

The treatment for nitrite toxicity is ultimately up to you, but it definitely beats doing daily water changes constantly during this phase of the cycle.

Sound advice right there ^^^^

PH 7.6 is Ok. My normal water is PH 8. Still my fishes are doing well. I think the other factors needed to be taken care off rather than PH. Fishes can adjust to +/- 1-1.5 PH differences. But Ammonia and Nitrites need to be kept in check.

Back
Top Bottom