Apisto info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been toying with the idea of maybe breeding apistogramma cacatuoides or agassizii, but i have some questions first.

Are they pretty easy/prolific breeders?
How big can their spawns be?
How many could i keep in a 20 or 29 gallon tank?
Can there be/should there be other fish in there?

And lastly, i know it should be pretty heavily planted, but what about rocks and driftwood? Thanks!

I've been toying with the idea of maybe breeding apistogramma cacatuoides or agassizii, but i have some questions first. Are they pretty easy/prolific breeders? How big can their spawns be? How many could i keep in a 20 or 29 gallon tank? Can there be/should there be other fish in there? And lastly, i know it should be pretty heavily planted, but what about rocks and driftwood? Thanks!

They aren't prolific but pretty easy. Spawns are usually around 20-30ish. I would do a breeding pair or trio in either of those tanks. I like to keep some dithers to make them not so shy and protect their fry better. They don't need a planted tank. In fact I don't have a single planted tank. They are cave spawners so rocks and driftwood are a must.

They aren't prolific but pretty easy. Spawns are usually around 20-30ish. I would do a breeding pair or trio in either of those tanks. I like to keep some dithers to make them not so shy and protect their fry better. They don't need a planted tank. In fact I don't have a single planted tank. They are cave spawners so rocks and driftwood are a must.
Thanks! Also, i read that when the female lays her eggs, she guards them and stays inside the pot, and you can actually lift it and her out and transfer them to another tank to save the fry. Is that true? And is that what you do?
So for the tank, any special substrate? And then lots of DW, and i'll probably do some live plants, and then a few clay pots, correct? Any good suggestions for dithers?

Thanks! Also, i read that when the female lays her eggs, she guards them and stays inside the pot, and you can actually lift it and her out and transfer them to another tank to save the fry. Is that true? And is that what you do? So for the tank, any special substrate? And then lots of DW, and i'll probably do some live plants, and then a few clay pots, correct? Any good suggestions for dithers?

I don't use pots I just leave them and both parents raise the fry together. I use slate to make caves. The female will stay in the cave but will come out to get food and whatever. I think mine would take off if I tried to just scoop her out. I put lots of moss in my apistogramma tanks they love it. As for dithers I use whatever I can get for $1 so neons, glowlights etc.

image-4258444868.jpg

Here's my apistogramma cacatuoides tank right now.

image-3150274761.jpg

Here's a female in her cave

That's what i would think too, i was surprised when i read that! Anyway, so how do you save the fry? Wouldnt the neons eat them or the apistos if they were big enough but yet still small enough? Also i read that only the mother takes care of the fry and will sometimes kill the other tank members if they get too close-that true?
Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i do it right if i get them!

That's what i would think too, i was surprised when i read that! Anyway, so how do you save the fry? Wouldnt the neons eat them or the apistos if they were big enough but yet still small enough? Also i read that only the mother takes care of the fry and will sometimes kill the other tank members if they get too close-that true? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i do it right if i get them!

I just let the parents raise them till I can net them out. My male and female take turns or the female does the heavy lifting with what I call the over watch of the male. He likes to stay about 5 inches above her and the fry and watch. The neons don't even try to mess with the fry. By the time the move more than an inch of the ground they are to big to be eaten. I could see some moms getting mean but mine aren't. If she did I would pull dad out and place him in a temporary tank.

Wow i'm jealous of all the tanks! And thanks! Sounds good! I guess it is always different with different fish! Any other important info i should know about them? And do you think cacatuoides or agassizii? Or another species?

So are the double reds and triple reds hybrids? Like are they ever looked down upon in the hobby?

Back
Top Bottom