Apistogramma Cacatioudes Spawn!- Here they go again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little update.

I removed the male after i watched him gobble up two little fry. :(

I am going to buy and set up a grow out tank this weekend so i can remove the babies once they become a little more independant. Just going to use an air driven filter and all that.

This morning a went downstairs to check on them and i could only find one little baby bee-bopping along with the mother. That freked me out because i thought the rest may have died or something. Then i watched as she raced around the tank frantically scooping up the little ones into her mouth and brining them back to the back corner of the tank where the other little one was.

I came home from school and found that she still had a cloud of quite a few of them around her.

I got some BBS eggs and they are just beginning to hatch, i will feed some of those tonight.

Any tips would be great, any thing else necessary?

FWIW I found that BBS were a waste of time with my GBR fry as they seemed to like Hiraki First Bites better, and it was easier for them to eat when they were very young. This may be better for you as well.

BTW are you sure the father ate one? Could have been protecting it and spit it out when you weren't watching.

I hatched some shrimp and fed them, they seemed to go after them. Once died while eating :(

I will try the hikari food a little later.

He could have, but i really don;t want to take the chance. The female is such a good mother, and the father totally stays away from both the female and the babies, but if the babies wandered off he seems to go after them. He never brought them back to the mother though... who knows, but better safe than sorry

I set up a grow out tank today and am cycling it so i will have something to put them in once they get a little bigger.

WHOO! grats on the fry! It's exciting having fry, I have never had luck growing them out though, I just have had live bearers. But It's great to hear you got them :) Good luck in the future with more babies

Congratulations! Those 10-14 days waiting to see free swimmers to ease your mind about a possible spawn are a real nailbiter aren't they? When my first pair of Cacs spawned I would get home from work and watch the tank for hours waiting to catch a glimpse of those tiny little buggers. IMO well worth the wait!

oh how awesome! I always wanted a pair of those (they are hard to find and expensive here) and would have loved to breed...
I cant wait untill they all get grown out, we WILL need pictures!

Are you covering filter intake, etc?

I had to put a sponge over it so they didn't get sucked in when my Thomasis spawned, they do tend to explore some...

Well, they're up to it again. I came down to feed one day and the female had a very large swarm of fry around her. My plan was th move the pot that they spawn in into a different tank so i could clean thing easier, but it alll happened so quickly. Its been almost a week since i have noticed and i am down to about a dozen fry. It would be nice if some make it but i am not expecting them too.

yup, thats why im not too desperate to make absolutely sure that these guys live. It would be nice, sure, but i know i will most likely have another spawn next month, hopefully i will know when the eggs are laid because i really want to move them to a different tank this time, just to try it.

if i ever have a sucessful spawn i would be happy to send a few to you. I have known alot of people who have shipped fish across canada. Some canadian members on other forums i have on have shipped from ontario to as far as victoria BC.

Numbers between 12 and 20 are all I really end up with after the parents cull weak and ill fry so I wouldn't worry too much about numbers like that. You will have to be mega vigilant to find and move the eggs as most of them hatch within 24 to 72 hours depending on temperature

Back
Top Bottom