Apistogramma Cacatoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil'Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just picked up a pair of these (male and female) and were wondering if anyones has had experience with them? We were told they are very peacefull and they do not get too big, about 3 inches for the male and slightly smaller for the female. Any advice on how to keep them healthy??

Thanks!!

Yeah, i saw that link already, but it doesnt say much about what they like to eat, if they like live plants, ets... any advice?

Thanks again.

well, it did suggest having a well planted and sandy bottomed tank to closely resemble their natural habitats (more muddy in the wild). So I would assume lots of live plants would be well appreciated. Do you have an pics? I'd love to see them. :D

Lil'Fishy said:
Yeah, i saw that link already, but it doesnt say much about what they like to eat, if they like live plants, ets... any advice?

Thanks again.

It did say they like to eat adult brine shrimp, flake food, and bloodworms. Therefore, it seems like you could probably get them to take a variety of foods...just keep some frozen bloodworms in the freezer for the occassional "treat".

Apistos can be cared for like rams and are so much fun! Adult brine shrimp are a nutritional waste--it's like candy for your fish. My Apistos love all frozen foods, blanched peas, zucchini, cucumber, flake, algae wafers.... They are pigs. I have a pick of one of mine in my gallery. They are in a 50 gal community tank with low light plants, lots of wood and river rock with small gravel as a substrate.

The Hikari frozen adult Brine shrimp I feed to my fish on occassion has vitamins added in ...according to the information on the packaging.

thanks guys!! :D We tried takin some pics, but they dont seem to photograph true to color, They are very bright and beautiful to look at.

Post pics anyway!! Mine are too fast! Of all the pics I've taken of them, I have ONE in my gallery :? Maybe if I learned how to use my camera properly, I could take better pics :eek:

When we first put them in they seemd to be swimming around and doing just fine. Today, the female is still doing so, but the male is hiding in one of the rocks and staying there. Is this normal?? Also, i put some flake food and algae waffers in this morning and neither of them ate. Shouls i try something different of just give them a few days to adjust?

Back
Top Bottom