Apistogramma Cacatuoides biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is interesting. I'll be following along.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

UPDATE:

Sorry for the long delay school had been really busy and not much has happened. Bubbles filters still in on a there way and supposedly arriving Friday but they haven't shipped yet so I sent a email to Amazon to hopefully see what's going on. The rasboras are very interesting to watch and have coloured up very well. One looks very fat/bloated/gravid, and I'd like some help deciding what is up with her. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444878264.605906.jpg

If I can find some peas I'll give those a shot but she is still happy and healthy so I'm not worried yet. Also picked up some Java moss from my LFS. Things should pick up more after those darn bubble filters arrive.

Sent from Luca via magic

Huge Update-Long Post

Quick and Easy Version

-rasbora tank completely redone due to complete die off of the fish because the leaves were collected to close to a road way so they were poison.
-the rasboras did spawn in the tank successfully and a singular fry was found.
-the apisto tank is now cycling new sponge filters that arrived.
-i ordered 100 IAL to attempt to redo the rasobora and apisto tank without having any losses.
-Brine shrimp hatchery is up and running to raise the fry.
-Tank should be fish ready by next week.
-param pic is 2 weeks old, the tank can process 2 ppm ammonia daily now.
-Earthworm live food bin is up and running. (If anyone want to know how i did this just let me know)

Long version (whole story)

The past few week has been full of many ups and downs, but exiting nonetheless. Sorry if the pictures are all out of order, I usually use my phone to post so the computer is pretty foreign. Okay so bad news first, the leaves I had collected from the field by my house must have absorbed to much toxins of some sort from cars because they managed to kill all 8 of the lovely rasboras :facepalm:. Lesson learned, so I went and ordered 100 IAL's off amazon, and as of today *should* arrive by the end of the week. few weeks pass and i had started to cycle that tank which, might I add, had been 100% emptied, refilled, and the started to cycle again so there was 4ppm ammonia in there and what do i find? A baby Fry alive and well!!! I guess I was doing something right until the toxicity got out of hand. I siphoned it out and acclimatized to my other tank and popped it in a breeder box. The fry is a few weeks old and is being fed live BBS 3x per day. The apisto tank is cycling the new bubble filter (which i love) and it should be fish ready by next week. Also i have been experimenting with earthworms to raise as a live fish food and its working great and is completely free now all i need to see is if the fish will like them.:fish2:

Attachments

• caca tank.jpg
    caca tank.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 194
  • fry.jpg
    fry.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 198
  • BBS.jpg
    BBS.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 197
  • worm bin.jpg
    worm bin.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 201
Score today! I was investigating my little brothers triops that he got a few weeks back and since they haven't grown much so I was sent to investigate. Turns out we got daphnia eggs instead of triops so now I have a daphnia culture. WOOP WOOP. +1 to my life foods list which is now earthworms, BBS, and now daphnia. Sunday I should be going shopping for the fish so picks will be up if that happens on Sunday.

Finally got the little gems. At only 3/4-1 inch they are small but packed with personality

MaleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450328873.489536.jpg
Female ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450328898.101008.jpg

If someone wants I will post a full tank shot. After 4 days they are nicely acclimatized and feeding off 4 daily feeding of BBS and every 3 days some minced earthworms. I'll continue to update and provide better pics after I clean the glass. Just a note my female is not shy at all! The male likes cover, but comes out to say hi when I feed.

Sent from Luca via magic

Alright full tank shot will go up tonight. One question though

"to dither or not to dither"
My LFS has some rocket pencil fish in right now and am wondering whether or not I should pick some up. The apistos do not hide a lot so are they not worth it?

Sent from Luca via magic

Alright full tank shot will go up tonight. One question though

"to dither or not to dither"
My LFS has some rocket pencil fish in right now and am wondering whether or not I should pick some up. The apistos do not hide a lot so are they not worth it?

Sent from Luca via magic

Dither is better. Rocket Pencils (I'm assuming Nannostomus eques) are great tank mates as they don't even contemplate fry predation.

The dithers serve as more than just a way of getting shy Apistos to come out more. The dithers are a way to have other fish to spread aggression around to. Sometimes males get too aggressive when they are in breeding mode and can stress a female out, or when a female is protecting her eggs sometimes she can turn aggressive towards the male (or more likely the other females when you have a harem). Dithers allow another target of aggression, easing the overall tank.

As an added plus. Who doesn't want to have more than just 2 fish in a tank ;)

***EDIT***

Another thing. You may want to contemplate smaller pots. The large openings of those pots may not provide the female with enough feeling of security to lay eggs. Either that or try getting those pots as far below the substrate as possible to make the opening smaller. It may not be an issue (sometime Apistos don't care to be honest) but it depends on the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dither is better. Rocket Pencils (I'm at ssuming Nannostomus eques) are great tank mates as they don't even contemplate fry predation.

The dithers serve as more than just a way of getting shy Apistos to come out more. The dithers are a way to have other fish to spread aggression around to. Sometimes males get too aggressive when they are in breeding mode and can stress a female out, or when a female is protecting her eggs sometimes she can turn aggressive towards the male (or more likely the other females when you have a harem). Dithers allow another target of aggression, easing the overall tank.

As an added plus. Who doesn't want to have more than just 2 fish in a tank ;)

***EDIT***

Another thing. You may want to contemplate smaller pots. The large openings of those pots may not provide the female with enough feeling of security to lay eggs. Either that or try getting those pots as far below the substrate as possible to make the opening smaller. It may not be an issue (sometime Apistos don't care to be honest) but it depends on the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow this is awesome. Lots of info and good stuff. Also you are correct in assuming Nannostomus eques, just wasn't sure whether to use there common or scientific name :p. As you can see I only have one large pot, and the other two are vertical with small openings at the top should the female choose to breed there. There are also some "natural" caves under the leaves and such.

Quick question, looking for some frozen food small enough for these two, as my frozen brine is to large at the moment, any suggestions anybody?

Sent from Luca via magic

You could thaw some frozen bloodworms and chop them up really fine.

I believe breeders also feed bloodworms in prep for spawning?

Caleb

I have been feeding my A.Hongslio Cyclops(frozen).
They are small enough and a GREAT natural 'red' color enhancer....
I would turn the two upright pots sideways to offer more caves(no expert here though..).
I have never seen a female and male use the hole.....
Besides I know I want to see what goes on in the caves.....

You could thaw some frozen bloodworms and chop them up really fine.

I believe breeders also feed bloodworms in prep for spawning?

Caleb

I have a pair of Apisto CACs, and whenever I feed live blackworms they spawn within 2 or 3 days. They have an extremely high protein content, and give the female the necessary nutrients to create more eggs and have the energy to defend her nest. If I were you I would go pick some up and give it a whirl. If your pair is spawning age you will have eggs in a few days after feeding blackworms.

I have some bloodworms, but I'm not a fan. I prefer live earthworms as they are usually cleaner and also provide better nutrition for my fish, also being cultured by me I know where they came from. For the pots, they seem to like the upright caves more as they provide more protection and whatnot, I like to give them options of what they like. Although I cannot see inside, I will be able to judge whether or not they have bred based on the females colour. As for the black worms, they are available to me freeze dried and live and I would love to have them as a alternate food to their diet. I'm looking into buying a grindle worm culture as well as daphnia eggs to add to my copepod culture (which btw I agree Cyclops/copepods are awesome). Is there a way to culture black worms? Or would I be better if with freeze dried.

Sent from Luca via magic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450562363.573267.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450562382.023928.jpg

Make has bee quite showy today towards the female. So amusing to watch them.

Sent from Luca via magic

Got some early Christmas presents today!! Acrylic yarn and corks for spawning mops and also my Baensch Aquarium atlas volume 2 is in the mail. Hoping everyone is also enjoying the holidays. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450656731.737362.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450656746.293942.jpg

Sent from Luca via magic

Finally got the apistos to eat flake, and they take adult brine shrimp frozen as well. Growing well and showing nice colour. Can't wait until they are able to breed. Anyone have an idea of what age/size the apistos will breed? Probably going to grab some nannostomus eques tomorrow and if not then, after Christmas.

Sent from Luca via magic

IMO if you think you can tell the difference between the sexes then they CAN breed.
My GBR have bred as young as 3-4 months old.
I have smallish(1 inch ) A.hongslio that are showing breeding behaviors with only 1 fish clearly showing male...

Back
Top Bottom