apistogramma "sunburst" cacatuoides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have two male sunburst and one female (had another but lost her).
my males randomly lose color (mostly the lateral line will fade out) and other times they start turning dark grey. is there any reason you can think of for this?

Um.... Well I got do ideas for the reason of this, both of which I have experienced with my african cichlids.

Idea number one. I had 2 female cichlids of the same sp. One ended up changed color completely because it changed sexed. But since you have 2 males and 1 female, I don't think that would be the case.

Idea number two. My one cichlid is normally a kind of palish color while he is just chillin or swimming around. Once he starts trying to defend territory and/or chasing food or fish, his true colors came out. It could be that, but I don't know for sure.

Truthfully that's all I can think of, that's what I have experience.

Hope you get somewhere with that info :D.

First off, can i see a pic? I have never heard of Apistogramma " Sunburts". Do you have a scientific name? Are you posotive they are both male? If they are both male, they probably scare the crap out of eachother, the one who is scareing the other, will be the darker, more colorful one.

yes i'm positive on their genders. very easy to tell the difference.

they're pretty mello fish, don't seem to be extremely territorial, and don't really do much fighting . i've been watching them tonight and i noticed that his colors lightened up as he swam away from a dark green plant. almost like a chamilion.

First off, can i see a pic? I have never heard of Apistogramma " Sunburts". Do you have a scientific name? Are you posotive they are both male? If they are both male, they probably scare the crap out of eachother, the one who is scareing the other, will be the darker, more colorful one.

Apistogramma cacatouides AKA "big mouth apisto" literally has dozens of color variations depending on where it is found in the wild. Variations include double red, triple red, orange flash, sunburst, etc. to name just a few.

Back
Top Bottom