Apongeton turning purple...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well my aponegeton is turning purple on the underside of it...im just making sure that this is a good thing right? because all the aponegeton I have ever had has been gree/brown/yellow but that was when my lighting was crap...so just making sure...tia :)

img_747945_0_fc08b2ce1f19f890a5227842c8d62b0c.jpg

img_747945_1_839252f76777ad130a63718d66005d7f.jpg

What kind of apon is it? I have not seen mine go purple. Do you have a pic?

** EDIT **

Saw it in your other post... Not sure, but it doesn't look unhappy...

** EDIT AGAIN **

Just looked at some of mine and one of them seems to have purplish leaves kinda like that. Only new leaves though, that aren't fully developed.

well mine are fully developed...I have no clue what kind as its just the kind from walmart bulbs ( I would love to have some "real" apong...but have never been able to find any...)

Thanks for the reply!

that looks like the same one i have - A. elongatus, or possibly A. crispus, though it doesn't seem to be rippled enough. mine is a bright green, though it is still young. that said, i can't imagine it would be a deficiency. i think if any of my plants turned purple i would be pleased :D

I think it may be a symptom of age. I have the same bulbs. It was all green when it was younger but is almost all purplish/brown now (after 3+ years). The leaves are very thin, almost translucent. It is growing well and is doing better than my much younger one.

oooo :D nice, deficiency of some kind? if not, whatever, still looks gorgeous ;)

thanks for the show n pics :)

Ant

If it produces shoots with little plantlets instead of floweres, it is A. undulatus, which tends to be browny purple/green.

Back
Top Bottom