Apple snail eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkimbark1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
A couple months ago I bought a snail labeled as a 'golden inca snail' but I think it may be an apple snail.
Anyway, that is the only snail I have in the tank and I noticed several egg clutches on the top of my tank above the waterline.
Was my snail able to have eggs without a partner? Do they need to be fertilized? Please help, thanks!

Apple snails can store sperm after an encounter with a male. It is possible that your snail is a girl who stored sperm. It is also possible that she laid infertile eggs. You will have to wait and see if they hatch to know the answer (if you do indeed want them to hatch).

Oh okay-yeah I think I want to keep some of the eggs if they are fertilized-but I don't have room for hundreds of snails unfortunately haha. How long does it normally take for snail eggs to hatch and are there any signs I should look out for/protocol for getting rid of snail eggs?

http://applesnail.net/

In the care section, this website has lots of info about baby snails.

I brought home a snail several months ago, and Gary, which I thought was a he, laid eggs! So it was a she... So she became Garyette. Then I left the eggs because I didn't have time to remove them, and forgot about them. Then in a couple of weeks, the eggs hatched! And this was several months after bringing her home, like four months. So, your eggs might hatch.
I found that website very helpful.

Thank you for all of your information. The snail eggs seem to be changing color a bit to a light pinkish color. If they are fertile i plan on moving them over to my 10 gallon tank.
i currently have 3 clutches of eggs and i plan on hatching them in my 10 gallon tank and then hopefully selling them to a LFS.
any advice?

Thank you! One more thing-do you think I could keep potentially hundreds of baby snails in a 10 gallon filtered heated tank until they are old enough to sell to a LFS? As long as I kept an eye on the water parameters and maybe added a source of calcium to the water I think it will be okay. Any opinions?

Honestly, I think you can do it. When I buy apple snails form my lfs, they have TONS of them in a 10g. SInce its just s short term home, it works as long as you help keep the water params in line. You could probaly put some in a tupperwear tub or something too and just change the water a lot, or else get a cheo filter for it. :) I suggest you ask your lfs how big they need ot be before the lfs will take them.

I appreciate your opinion, that's what i was thinking pretty much.
hopefully they don't need them to be too large before i sell them. but i just hope the eggs are fertilized...still waiting!

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted on this thread.
Basically I have 3 egg clutches that are either not fertilized or dried out because they didn't hatch and it's been a couple weeks. However, I recently had an egg clutch hatch and now I have a bunch I baby snails. Also, I have 3 other clutches in my tank that I'm hoping to hatch. Not exactly sure how long they have been there though.

Back
Top Bottom