aptasia on my rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qwerty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
about a month ago i got a nice bunch of xenia from liveaquaria which was attached to a decent sized chunk on rock (which is about the sized of a small potted plant and looks like it is some sort of rock mixture which was poured into a planter and allowed to harden) i have been hoping the xenia would slowly move off the rock (which looks out of place in my tank to begin with) recently about 8 aptasia have appeared on the rock, and i want to move it out of my tank more than ever....my question is, is there an easy way to get my xenia off the rock in a hurry? i want the rock gone before the aptasia has time to spread.

also i noticed alot of people say to inject the aptasia with boiling water..do they mean to literally stick a needle into the aptasia which seems like a chore that could be very hard since the crap sucks back into the rock when i try to mess with it.

any help would be GREAT!

Just use a baster or syringe to put the water on them as close as possible. If the xenia is close it may harm it though. Just be careful. Have you tried peppermint shrimp? I used boiling water on a few in my tank and left a few of the larger ones on purpose to see what they would do. I added two peppermint a few weeks later and they killed all of them.

I used Joes Juice to kill my larger aipstasia, and let my peppermint shrimp take care of the smaller ones. Joes Juice works immediatley and is more effective than boiling water, IME. It won't harm other corals in your tank either.

Bought 2 Pep shrimp LFS for 9 a piece (rip off, but was local and I was in a hurry). They work if the aptasia is not too big..

Yes. I have heard not all peppermint shrimp will eat them though. People seem to like the Joe's Juice but I used boiling/hot water on some of mine with a 100% success rate, and it was free :)

Back
Top Bottom