Aqua C Remora Pro for my 90 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i need a new protein skimmer, the one i have was a "Make-Do" until i wanted to pony up some cash for a good one, i am looking in the 200-300 (Canadian) range. (so about 175-275) US. I currently dont have a sump and would like to keep things simple so i am thinking this HOB skimmer would be a good fit. It says on the manufacturers website that its rated for 60-125 gallons. Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? any alternate recommendations or considerations? I may be buying today, so speak now or forever hold your peace :)

AquaC skimmers are highly reccomended. The Remora Pro would be fine for your tank. It is a well made skimmer with great skimmate production.

I own a AquaC Remora which I used on my 55 gallon FOWLR and it is a great skimmer. From my experience it was quiet, pulled out alot of waste, and was a decent price. If you are stuck with a HOB skimmer than the AquaC Remora Pro would probably be your best option although you could go with one of the larger Coralife Super Skimmers. I've heard great reviews regarding them and they are very reasonably priced.

I have the Remora pro and like it very much. I see why some people complain about noise but finally, after a couple months, the hissing water noise has stopped. I would recommend to get one.

I dont have that brand but I have heard good results from them. I believe that will be good for you.

Hi,
I have the Coralife Super Skimmers for 65 gal it really pulls stuff out of the water, Take your time setting it up, the closer the pump is to the the skimmer bowel the higher the water will be in the bowel, I started mine with the skimmer flow in max and it promptly filled the cup with clean sea water. very quickly.. :oops:
So I backed the flow down and read the manual and it said to leave the water at the lower line for 24 hours to break in the skimmer, and it really started to perk after that I have to empty it daily ( man the junk that comes out is brown and stinks ), I keep it bubbling just below the shoulder of the smaller part of the funnel where the diameter starts to get smaller I belive this causes it to produce a drier concentrated foam, the higher the water the wetter the foam.
I ve also noticed that water in the top third of the skimmer is golden brown so its the first stage of the actual concentation of the stuff before the bubble chamber.
very small bubbles almost a fog. I hear thats the good ones.
I love mine dosen't make a sound sitting on the side of my 20 sand sump.
Oh yea don't add any sand whilst the skimmer is running bad idea. had to clean all the bubble injectors duh. PSPS,,, GFI is a must incase you overflow..total cost at marine depot was plus shippin $88.99 pretty cheap but really good
Doug
ES33000.jpg

I find the water level should be equal to the red adjustment device for the water height on mine this works well any higher and it blows a lot of wet foam after a couple hours. my local petstores highly reccomend the corallife skimmers they say the don't seem tobreak down has quicky as some of the other models and is farily easy to clean this restores the skimmer to the same level as when it was new. One nice feature is the bubble trap is inlcuded many systems you have to pay extra for that.
I beleive the smaller unit could easily handle a larger tank maybe up to 100 gal unless your feeding alot of the fresh meat I check mine alot cause its new. and I am so green ( new tank )
Ok you experts I ve read about trace mineral depleation with skimmer something about iodides being removed after 24 hours ???

nice write up, one of my LFS also recommended the coralife super skimmer, the 125 model, the only drawback i see is that it is quite thick (6 inches) and would be hard to fit as a HOB skimmer unless i pull the tank out from the wall. (which would be a lot of work). I managed to bandage my current little overwhelmed prism with a new o-ring, but its got to go some time this week. I think the under-skimming is contributing to a cyano problem i have....

I recently bought the AquaC Remora MJ with the prefilter. It has been running for six weeks now and still pulling out green water. However, the noise has quiet down a bit. But the prefilter is waste of money. I'll have to give it up if it continues like this as there is now a cayno build up.

I went with the Coralife Super Skimmer 125, and just moved the tank out from the wall a little. The Coralife Skimmer can be converted to a sump skimmer down the road (which is what i'll get eventually) and it was $70 cheaper. I'm seasoning it right now and will start skimming tonight. The prism finally quit on me anyways..

Back
Top Bottom