Aqua clear 20 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought an aqua clear filter that is upto 20 gallons yesterday because it had a cycle guard or something like that. The seller told me I don't need an air pump with this product but I'm not convinced. The filter has a cascade.
Do I still need air pump or not?
Thanks

You do not need an air pump. Keep the tank full and let it do it's job. You can increase it's capability by adding a second sponge element.

Replace the carbon with another sponge. The carbon isn't necessary for day to day use. If you haven't used the carbon yet, save it for a special occasion such as removing meds. An air pump doesn't add oxygen to the water. It merely agitates the surface to improve gas exchange. The AC filter does this already so you don't need an air pump/air stone.

An air pump isn't needed because there is a pump built into the AC 20 which draws water with the impeller. Carbon will remove odors and medications from the water. It degenerates after about 3 weeks. It does not need to be added back unless you have a specific reason. Sponges remove particulates and need to be rinsed regularly (not replaced).

If you are unfamiliar with cycling a new tank, check out our articles (Articles - Aquarium Advice). The usual advice given out in stores is very wrong.

Welcome to AA! :)

Thank you very much. I was told nothing about cycling. I bought a cycle liquid and added 10 ml yesterday and 8 ml today. I hope I did the right thing. The bottle said I should use 20 ml the first time but I think that is if I didn't have fish in the tank. I have a 8 gallon tank.

Filter Media Option

Rather than buy the premade filter inserts which are stupidly expensive, get some cut to fit filter material. The Aqua Clear is perfect for customizing your filter media. When your cut to fit pads get dirty, just swish them out in some of your old tank water and reuse. They can be reused many times before they break down. That way your pads have a lot of BB still in them. Here's a pic of what I use. The whole sheet cost me about $7. Should last me over two years. You want to use the liquid cycle with the filter running as that is where you want its bacteria to settle in. Good luck. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 42
Since you don't need to replace sponges, you can just buy the ones for the filter, they're cheap enough. In my aquaclear filters, I just keep sponges and bio-max media.

Señor,
You can also use what they called pillow batting. It is very cheap. Just be sure that you get the type that says hypoallergenic. Which means it has no chemicals. You just tear off a chunk of it, fit it into your filter. When it gets dirty you will just throw it away and replaced with new. It doesn't reform well after cleaning. A bag of this will cost just a few dollars and also last probably two years. There are a lot of people in AA that know how to save money in this hobby.
Good luck, OS.

Just to get this right... I don't change the bio max I just rinse it and the same the sponge(s)? How often should I rinse them?
Should the biomax cover the whole sponge or is it not that important if the corners are exposed?

Back
Top Bottom