Aquaclear 110 stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
We were on a week vacation (of course) when my Aquaclear 110 stopped working. My cichlid tank was in very bad shape when I returned (four dead and rotting fish in a stagnant tank. Nice.

I cleaned the filter out and got it working again (Saturday) then yesterday it was making intermittent noises, but still working. It all 'looks' like it is in working order. No visibly broken or worn pieces.

I bought the filter second hand, so while I've had it a few years, I don't know how old it is.

Is it time for a new filter?

Thanks,
Greeny

Check the hole through the impeller to see that it isn't worn unevenly and check the metal shaft the impeller sits over for wear. It is usually one of those or both that cause stoppage and noise. Sand in the impeller cavity or bits of metal which will be held in there by the magnet can also be an issue.

Its easy.. Pull the motor off the filter(where the plugs at) you'll see a rubber gasket.. Make sure you dont pull to hard be gentle to remove it.. Once removed check to see if its clogged, or how much dirt is around there.. After you have it clean while its still out off the filter, plug in see if it spins, if not manually turn the blades be careful not to break, if it spins your ok.. Once you have it spinning unplug cord from outlet.. Gently line up the motor with the filter and turn in you'll feel rubber gasket catching, after turning it should be even with filter with tank leveler facing back of filter.. Important!!! After installing fill it with water from tank usually cycled water before plugging in, if you dont you could offset the blades and youll get that loud grinding noise.. Good luck sorry so long

If you take it apart and clean the impeller sump, look for scratches on the magnet(wear marks) if you see scratches you should replace the impeller magnet. If no wear is apparent then it probably just needed to be cleaned. I keep a spare impeller assembly on hand for each filter I use.

Back
Top Bottom