Aquaclear 70 or Emperor 400 or 350?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobDeanH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 Gal with a HOB internal filter and it's just a cartridge. I'm looking to get a better filter because I have play sand and the filter starts breaking apart and getting all inside the tank(not the filter itself but the cartridge material). All on the rocks and sand. Really makes my tank look bad quick. This tank has been running for 5 months. I want a good filter that will provide good bacteria and an easy way to catch that light weight sand that seems to get in there somehow. Right now I'm thinking of getting the Aquaclear 70 since it has a sponge and a separate bag of bio media. It's $50 so my question is do you think this is my best option or is there a better filter for around $50? Thanks.
Edit: I just looked at the Emperor 400. Which would be better? My cartridges get clogged fast and it's very hard for the water to actually flow through them.

I prefer Aqua-clear but the Emperor 400 is also a nice filter with bio-wheels if i recall. I thought the Emperor, although very effective was a little noisy.

I agree on the noise with the Emperors. I had a 280 and it was noticeably louder than any AquaClear I've owned. Yes, an impeller swap might have resolved to noise but the Emperor's cartridge design takes away from the flexibility with different filter media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks you guys sealed the deal. I was already set on Aquaclear but the emperor looked good but I've read that the little jets get clogged and stuff like that. I'll go with the aquaclear. Thanks

I've got two AquaClear filters and I can't complain. Just make sure you rinse the sponge filter out really well every couple weeks!

I've got two AquaClear filters and I can't complain. Just make sure you rinse the sponge filter out really well every couple weeks!

Yeah that's mostly why I want it so it can catch all the sand and other stuff plus all the good reviews

Yeah that's mostly why I want it so it can catch all the sand and other stuff plus all the good reviews

Catch sand? I'd avoid letting sand get into the filter. It can lodge in the impeller housing and cause issues. You could use a prefilter sponge over the intake tube to keep it out.

Back
Top Bottom