AquaClear 70

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I have a few basic questions about this device. Does it come with any mesh bags/media when you buy it? Does 'biomax' need to be put in a mesh bag? Does the carbon need to be put into a mesh bag?

Thanks alot, in advance.

Joe

To my knowlage (But this was about a year ago) They do come with all the inserts.

But to make sure, I suggest yea head down to your LFS and look at the box. Best safe then sorry. Even if you're ordering off the net.

It comes with everything you need. The carbon insert is already bagged, and there is a mesh bag included for your Biomax, and of course it comes with a foam block.

Since you ae buying online, grab yourself an extra sponge or pack of three....this will allow you to run the filter with two sponges plus the biomax (save the carbon for someday when you need to remove meds or something)...if you buy the 3-pack, you will have two spare sponges for later use.

severum mama said:
It comes with everything you need. The carbon insert is already bagged, and there is a mesh bag included for your Biomax, and of course it comes with a foam block.

So the mesh bag IS included. Good.

I will buy some extra foamys, thank you Toirtis. Are you sure it is a good idea to run a filter with no AC?

Joe

Sure. That's the way I run my Aquaclears. You can just stack the foam blocks on top of each other and then put the bag of Biomax on top. There is plenty of room, and IME it improves mechanical filtration. Plus, if you have to replace a block, you can do it one at a time and remove less of your bacteria that way. But you really won't have to replace the foam often at all. I've had some of my ACs for 2 years and never replaced the foam. You can just rinse it when necessary in tank water during a pwc. Never rinse it in tap water. Good luck- I'm sure you will like the filter as it is very quiet and effective. :D

Would it be wise of to order an extra pack of carbon inserts? I was thinking I could buy two mesh bags and use one for AC when I need it and the other for bio max. Would a mesh bag filled with AC be as effective as an insert? I know I can buy AC from WalMart for a lot less then those inserts go for.

Cheers,

Joe

That's the thing I love about the AC 70. You can substitute other manufacturer's media (filter floss, bio) and put any combo you want without any fuss. I added additional bio-balls on the top, foam block on the bottom and filter floss in the middle.

Jchillin said:
That's the thing I love about the AC 70. You can substitute other manufacturer's media (filter floss, bio) and put any combo you want without any fuss. I added additional bio-balls on the top, foam block on the bottom and filter floss in the middle.

We think so too :D :D :D :D :

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=25&sort=7&cat=14&page=1

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=112&sort=7&cat=14&page=1

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=58&sort=7&cat=14&page=1

What is the best type of biological media for me to put in the filter? I am looking at these:

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart...-1.html?L+scstore+ldyx3085fffe9ffe+1129665327

They seem to have the most usable surface area.....

Also, when I get this unit, does the biological media go in a media bag and just hang in the filter?

I want to order everything from one website, a Canadian one at that (to avoid customs charges). This website has everything I need, so far as I can tell.

So far my shopping cart consists of:
-Aquaclear 70
-2x Aquaclear 70 media bags
-3x foam inserts (not including the one that comes with the filter)

The last thing I need is the biological filter stuff.... Bioballs or whatever.
I really can not afford to buy this but oh well, you have to pay to play rite? :?

Thanks in advance. As soon as I find out if these "Lee's-Aquarium Bio-Pin Balls" are any good I will be placing the order. I also intend on buying another aquarium in the near future for quarantine purposes.

Joe

I have a couple of AC 300s that are still using the original foam inserts, and they are over 10 years old. They have to be the cheapest HOB to operate. I run 2 sponges. Contrary to publice opinion, they can take a fairly thorough cleaning in tank water with out destroying the bacteria on them. Considere this; if squeezing them to remove solids washes off the bacteria, what chance would they have of staying attached with the rate of flow through the sponges? Leaving a lot of solids in the sponge after cleaning, reduces their efficiency. It reduces the water flow and reduces the amount of oxygen reaching the bacteria that has colonized the sponge.

Too late. I ordered it. I can't stand the thought of my fish being in an unsuitable enviroment.... I have to correct this situation as quickly as I possibly can....

Here is what I ordered:

You ordered the following items:
CPHA-A615 AquaClear 300 Power Filter 1 CAD-$ 46.99 USD-$ 39.16
FMHA-A1366 AquaClear 300 Filter Bags [2 pk] 1 CAD-$ 3.99 USD-$ 3.33
FMLE-17031-1 Bio-Pin Balls [1 gallon] 1 CAD-$ 11.99 USD-$ 9.99
FCHA-A1396 -3PK- AquaClear 300 Foam Inserts 1 CAD-$ 5.99 USD-$ 4.99
FOWA-0094 Shrimp Pellets [128g] 1 CAD-$ 4.49 USD-$ 3.74

I hope my cats dig the shrimp pellets. Apparently they are great for cats and plecos. We'll see how it goes.

Toirtis, I sure hope you are rite about what you said....

Thanks again.

Joe

AquaJoe.. Toirtis was right.. the AquaClear is the HOB filter to own.. Ive owned 5 diffent brands since starting in this hobby and the AquaClear is by far the best IMO. I have one now that's 14 years old and still works like I just bought it. Ive had to do some kind of major repair to all of my HOB filters at one time or another, ones that most hobbiest would have tossed there filter in the trash sometimes, Ive never had to do any major repair to my AquaClear. That to me is the sign of a much better engineered product. The things are built like tanks. :p
I thought I would give you some ideas on some of the modifications that can be done with the filter..
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/power_filter_tricks_iii.php

I am very excited to get the new filter.

Untill I do, I will be doing 30% PWC every other day.

Thanks again Toirtis, I think you saved Elivira's life (my female betta).

Joe

By the way, do I put the bio balls in a media bag or do I simply place them in the filter?

Thanks again.

Joe

So I just put the balls in and let them float around? Or should I connect them together? Aparently they are connectable, what purpose this serves is beyond me.

Are they boyant? Sorry for being such a pest.

Joe

Most are bouyant....no need to float them prior to putting them in the filter, though. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to connect them, though.

Back
Top Bottom