Aquaclear filter for 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aa108

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know whether to get the aquaclear 50 or 30. I"m afraid to get the 50 because it might be too much flow for the plants and the animals. anyone have any experience with this?

Yep, 50 is better. If you have fish that like low flow, you can always turn the flow down on aquaclears. Also, remember that you can replace the carbon that comes with it with another filter sponge or more bio media, since carbon isn't really necessary.

--Adeeb

Aqua Clear Filter

Hello aa...

A good rule of thumb for a power filter is one with a gph (gallons per hour) rating six times the volume of your tank. So, with a 30 G tank, you could have a filter with a gph of 180.

If you faithfully change half the water in your tank every week, then you'd only need an Aqua Clear 30. There's really no need for a huge power filter if you set up an aggressive water change schedule and stick to it.

B

I use the AC 110 on my 29. The flow is adjustable. Even the betta doesn't have a problem with it.

I used an AC110 on a ten gallon for a while. Id go with the 50 or the 70.

wow i didn't know the flow was adjustable on the aquaclear filters. I only have an aqueon filter so i had no idea on aquaclears. if the flow is adjusted, would the gph change too?

Aquaclears are great!

It's just my personal preference on the amount of flow, but I like to have at least 10x the gallons per hour, more if the flow isn't causing issues for the fish. My display tank has about 15x (rated, not actual) and the only noticeable current is on about half the tank's surface.

I can't remember where I read it, but some article said that 20x gallons per hour in planted tanks isn't uncommon.

The way I look at it is that generally speaking, our aquariums will never be able to reproduce the amount of "circulation" that these fish experience in the wild, so the more the better as long as it isn't harming or stressing the fish.

wow i didn't know the flow was adjustable on the aquaclear filters. I only have an aqueon filter so i had no idea on aquaclears. if the flow is adjusted, would the gph change too?

Gph is a measure of flow ;) Basically how many gallons of water will move through your filter over an hour.

--Adeeb

Gph is a measure of flow ;) Basically how many gallons of water will move through your filter over an hour.

--Adeeb

oh thanks lol. I didn't think about that question enough haha.

I have an aqueon 29 gallon that came with an aqueon filter... I'm debating on getting an aqua clear... worth it? The 50 does 200GPH it says anyways and they are not to expensive either.

If I went this route... what's the best way to switch filter units altogether like this without killing the cycle I'm currently undergoing? Wait until its down and put the old filter media in the new filter as well?

I wouldn't go with anything smaller than an AC70 on a 29 gallon tank unless you have some additional form of filtration. While the 50 will handle a 29g tank, a 70 is really the better option and worth a couple extra bucks.

I just have the standard aqueon that came with my tank... I want to upgrade but am not sure the best way of going about doing that without losing all my BB

millerb7 said:
I have an aqueon 29 gallon that came with an aqueon filter... I'm debating on getting an aqua clear... worth it? The 50 does 200GPH it says anyways and they are not to expensive either.

If I went this route... what's the best way to switch filter units altogether like this without killing the cycle I'm currently undergoing? Wait until its down and put the old filter media in the new filter as well?
I run the aqueon thay came with my 29 on a 10. I had it on a 20 for a while and it just didn't cut it. You'd need to stock very lightly if using that filter, and I also add some extra media in a nylon bag since it only provides that one cart.

Be sure to shop amazon if you aren't already. Their prices on AC's can't be beat!

I run the aqueon thay came with my 29 on a 10. I had it on a 20 for a while and it just didn't cut it. You'd need to stock very lightly if using that filter, and I also add some extra media in a nylon bag since it only provides that one cart.

Be sure to shop amazon if you aren't already. Their prices on AC's can't be beat!

That's what I'm afraid of... this aqeon filter is made for the 29 gallon but I doubt it's the best choice (well I know it isn't). I'd rather upgrade to the aqua clear 70 probably (for my 29 gallon tank) which moves 300GPH so it says... so that would be 10x (well more than that) of my water.... which I think is good. I just get the feeling this toss-in aqueon in my "kit" I bought isn't going to fit the bill.

I have the AC50 on my 29 gallon.
The adjustable flow isnt that big of a deal, it barely changes.
But it is a great filter

Back
Top Bottom