Aquaclear Filter leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

telesto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully this is ok.

I have an AquaClear 100 filter. It worked fine for the first month or so, but after that I started to have problems with the filter media floating up to the top of the filter. This would in turn raise the entire filter basket, raising the lid. So I taped down the lid. However now the foam filter still floats up. This raises the water level (for some reason) and water now spills out from the left side of the filter (not the waterfall part, but the part where the intake is) onto the back and top of my tank.

Does anyone know what's wrong? I've had these filters in the past and never had this problem. I gently cleaned the foam filter and removed the carbon filter but no matter what the foam filter won't stay on the bottom (those 4 pieces of plastic "hooks" on the basket won't hold it down).

Thanks!

Friend of mine just got an AquaClear 70, had the same problem...the filter media would just float. And since it was the stuff that came with the filter when he bought it, it was definitely the right size for the filter.

However, what I did when I went to look at it was I noticed there were lots of air bubbles-in the sponge, all over the carbon, etc. When I took the media out and squeezed/shook out all the bubbles, the stuff now stays down in the filter like it is supposed to.

i have to 70's, and the sponge media that came with it along with the replacement filters fit just fine, the carbon, ammonia, and bio media stuff doesn't fit near as snuggly, but they don't float at all anyway...

even the tray i have to shove into the filters, they kinda seem to snap into the bottom because its such a tight fit, works perfectly though! maybe you might just need to buy some replacement filters to maybe fit them better. you can probably get some generic foam filters to cut and fit if need be..

Hmmm...are we speaking about the same thing? The aquaclear has a "media" basket and all media that is designed for it "fits" into the basket snugly. The sponge/foam, should be at the bottom and the other media resting on top of each other.

That happened with my AC 70 a while back. Once I cleaned the sponge (in tank water of course) it quit floating. I haven't had any problems since.

used to use an ac HOB. Never had that problem. Sounds to me like the media is for a smaller size AC. The hooks on the sides ALWAYS caught all the media and kept it all in place.

Well, mine was definitely the right size since it came with the filter and hadn't been replaced. It can happen, but Mazdaman makes a good point to check out the size of your sponge if you have replaced it to make sure you do have the right size. When I had this happen the hooks on the sides of the media basket did hold the sponge and other media in place, but there seemed to be air under the sponge so the entire media basket was floating and popping up the lid.

severum mama said:
Well, mine was definitely the right size since it came with the filter and hadn't been replaced. It can happen, but Mazdaman makes a good point to check out the size of your sponge if you have replaced it to make sure you do have the right size. When I had this happen the hooks on the sides of the media basket did hold the sponge and other media in place, but there seemed to be air under the sponge so the entire media basket was floating and popping up the lid.

That has been my point all along. The sponge/foam has to fit snugly or it will do exactly what has been described. Severum, I would think that AquaClear made a serious boo boo when packing your filter.

It does fit snugly, as does the other media in my filter. I had this happen twice. Once, I had a bubble wand across the back of the tank. I think some air got up under the media basket and pushed the entire basket up. The media didn't pop the top off my filter, the sides of the basket did. The other time I think it was just dirty. :oops: Once I cleaned it, it was fine. I haven't had this problem since, so I don't think it is an issue with the media.

I have the carbon and sponge in mine. The sponge always stays down but the carbon used to float and it is the right size.
Try squeezing all the filter media while still in the water to get out the air. I keep a small rock on mine even though it doesn't float anymore.

Thanks for all the replies .. had internet access trouble the last few days and wasn't able to check this thread.

I'll try squeezing out the foam and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I will put the carbon filter back in for a day or two and then get a replacement foam filter.

I'd also like to mention that when the filter get cloged it will push up out of the top. The whole basket will come up. I believe it is designed this way to notify you that it is time to change the filter. Yes I realize that it shouldn't get to that point before you change it and mine don't, but not everyone is as attentive as we are. :D

Back
Top Bottom