AquaClear filter very loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My AquaClear is very loud. I already lubed it once with Vaseline when I first got it. Should I lube it again or buy a new impeller shaft?

Last edited by a moderator:
My AquaClear is very loud. I already lubed it once with Vaseline when I first got it. Should I lube it again or buy a new impeller shaft?

Are you sure it's the impeller shaft? Is it bent? No grit or other stuff in the impeller chamber? Usually, when I have a loud noise from my Aquaclears, it's from the lid vibrating. Reseating them often helps, but I've also run them topless.

(The filters, not me. :brows: )

It's not the lid as I removed it and it's still loud

AquaClear filter very loyd

Remove, inspect, and clean the impeller. Clean out the pocket where the impeller resides. If that does not help, then get a new impeller assembly.
I once had an AC50 that was silent. Bought a second one and it was loud. Swapped the impellers and ended up with two pretty quiet filters.
Edit: Yes, the lid can amplify the noise.

Last edited:
How is your water level? If your level is low sometimes mine will grind a bit.

I unplugged it and plugged back in and it's silent now.

How is your water level? If your level is low sometimes mine will grind a bit.
Most of the impellers are barely below the trim level in the tank so if the water level is low sometimes bubbles will not pass through where the impeller is quickly.
This happens often with all my AC..I pull the media basket handle AWAY from the pump and bubbles come out easier...it blocks the chamber that wants to spit out the air and the 'bleed off' hole is small...I have often wondered if anyone knows to clean it...
Glad you got it quiet,they are good filters..

Mine is on a power strip and sometimes a quick off/on will silence it. Thought it was just me.

Nah, I've had the same thing happen -- and the reverse, as well. I think stuff gets dislodged when the flow starts up again, quieting the filter.

I've got three running in this room with me, can't hear a thing from them right now.

I heart Aquaclears. :flowers:

You could also check to make sure it's level if it gets noisy again. Bubbles can get pulled through if it's not level.

But cleaning the impeller and it's pocket solves many issues.

Back
Top Bottom