Aquaclear filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as power filters that hang on the back of the tank I like the AC a lot.

No throw away, proprietary cartridges. You get full media flexibility and they are farily inexpensive.

As far as power filters that hang on the back of the tank I like the AC a lot.

No throw away, proprietary cartridges. You get full media flexibility and they are farily inexpensive.

+1 have 5 running and theyre all money!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They have treated me pretty well. The impeller shafts go bad every once in a while but other than that i really like them because you dont have to buy media carts. Fluvals c series hob filters are even better than aquaclears. F your in the market check one out. Theyre pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine works well, as long as you add some form of poly fiber filter floss after the sponge, so you get some finer mechanical filtration. My water went from "pretty good" to "crystal clear" after I added that.

If I were to buy a new one though, I'd go with the Fluval C series. A more advanced version of the design and not much more expensive.

I just set up a fluval c4, it's pretty nice.. ill have a better idea after cleaning it in a week I suppose...

AC's are great and are my second favorite HOB's. The Fluval C series takes the cake as numero uno for innovation, efficiency, and effectiveness. It's basically an updated AC.

Fluval took over AC, didn't they? I love them, personally.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just set up a fluval c4, it's pretty nice.. ill have a better idea after cleaning it in a week I suppose...

Please do report back, Brookster. I'm tempted to switch to the C4 even though my AC50 is doing just fine. But that's probably just because I'm running out of new tank gadgets to buy. :lol:

Please do report back, Brookster. I'm tempted to switch to the C4 even though my AC50 is doing just fine. But that's probably just because I'm running out of new tank gadgets to buy. :lol:

Will do! I like how customizable it is right off the bat!

Get an Ehiem Skim 350. It's a great gadget too.

Yup! Great product!! Highly recommend these!

Just as a addendum to this thread, I have yet to find a filter than I can't fit my own media into, though I admit, I've never owned a bio wheel type, so on those I can't comment.

But every other filter I've tried, internal or HOB, I take out the cartridge they come with, cut or rip out the media and replace it with my own. I'll cut sponge to fit, or stuff in floss, or use plastic scrubby pads cut to fit. They all work and are way cheaper than buying those cartridges. I've never bought a refill cartridge for any filter, just plain sponge and floss and sometimes ceramic. I've also used broken up lava rock in place of ceramic media and it works very well too. A bit expensive to just buy lava rock to break up, but if you've had some that got broken, this is a useful way to employ it.

I have to say, I prefer ACs as main filters, they are reliable and you can put whatever you want in them easily. It's also easy to get parts for them. Often they can be found used, and since they all use the same motor, the only thing that's different between them is the impeller. You can even put a larger impeller in one of the smaller filters to up it's efficiency if need be. If you must buy new parts, and the lfs hasn't got them, Hagen's site always does, though finding them can sometimes be a bit of a pain. Their site search engine is rather picky about terminology.

Their good for smaller tanks. Canister is better for 30-40gallon +
Fluval 206, 306, 406 .........

I just returned my AC. It was the worst filter I have ever used. I believe that it must have been a dud from the factory. The motor got hot and it was making a very loud grinding noise, no thank you. I returned it and bought an Aqueon quiet flow, removed all the media that came with it and customized it as best I could. I'm much more satisfied with this filter.

I just returned my AC. It was the worst filter I have ever used. I believe that it must have been a dud from the factory. The motor got hot and it was making a very loud grinding noise, no thank you. I returned it and bought an Aqueon quiet flow, removed all the media that came with it and customized it as best I could. I'm much more satisfied with this filter.

That's an aweful review, clearly your ac was not assembled/activated properly or was just as you stated. A dud. A properly functioning ac is quieter than a mouse fart and far superior to an aqueon hob, I've used them, they are extremely limited in media options and capacity..

I replaced a Marineland penguin 200 with an Aquaclear/Fluval 50 gallon HOB. I love it. It's so quiet, so customizable, and easy to clean. The switch to lower the flow rate sets it apart from HOBs in a similar price range.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom