Aquaclear filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, my filter has been up and running for several moths now, I pulled it out of the tank today to clean it better and I am having a hard time getting it to start. I bought it used so I don't have a manual. How long should it take to start on average? It's been sitting still for about 2 hours now. The pump is hot, but not actually doing anything. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fill it with water and poke the impellar with a meat skewer or chop stick, nothing metal..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fill it with water and poke the impellar with a meat skewer or chop stick, nothing metal..

Oops...I've been using my Fluval plant scissors. I would use the tongs but they are curved. Oh, and metal.
A chopstick is a good choice.

Lol, that's guys, a plastic straw did the job. I don't have any chopsticks >_<

Straw!! Nice one!! I've used the metal scissors before too.. closer than the stick. I wouldn't recommend it for the first poke though;)

When my Aquaclear did that, I used my finger to jump start the impeller lol. I was afraid to use anything else.

If the pump is reluctant to start, you should pull the impeller out. Clean it thoroughly inside and out and pull the shaft and clean and inspect it. If the shaft shows uneven wear you can sometimes extend it's life by inverting it. Occasionally, the hole in the impeller will turn into an oval, which means it should be replaced. If the hole get worn to a larger size it can hit the sides of the motor cavity which can prevent starting. That is why spinning it will get it started. it allows the water to get around the outside and inside of the impeller and provide a "lube". When it is running the inside of the impeller shouldn't be touching the shaft. It basically runs on a film of water, inside and out, when all is working as per design.

Back
Top Bottom