Aquaclear/fluval filter question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
This just dawned on me. This is my first time having an aquaclear/fluval filter and using the biomax. Does the biomax need to be replaced every so often? I l know I would need to let a new biomax bag run with the old for a while so BB can colonize on it. Do you just go about normal filter cleaning every month as with any other filter?

I just swish my bio max bag in tank water at water change time. Haven't replaced anything yet and it's need over a year.

I will say I hate the fact that its hit it miss with what type you get when you but the HOB. One I bought had the little pellets already in two bags. The other one had the bio max separate and you add to the media bag. I like those better because the rings are larger.

I just swish my bio max bag in tank water at water change time. Haven't replaced anything yet and it's need over a year.

I will say I hate the fact that its hit it miss with what type you get when you but the HOB. One I bought had the little pellets already in two bags. The other one had the bio max separate and you add to the media bag. I like those better because the rings are larger.

That's the kind I have, you added the biomax to the bag. I have a spare one I've been thinking of adding just to have extra in there. Thanks!

I needed to buy new biomax and could not find the one for an AC 50 so I bought the big 17 oz size for fluval canisters and it was the ring style. The size ( which appears to be the pellet style) for an AC 50 is only 4oz so I have plenty for extra filtration.

I needed to buy new biomax and could not find the one for an AC 50 so I bought the big 17 oz size for fluval canisters and it was the ring style. The size ( which appears to be the pellet style) for an AC 50 is only 4oz so I have plenty for extra filtration.

Just a follow up on this...I tried the larger ring style biomax in a mesh bag in an AquaClear HOB and it was "clunky". I took it out of the mesh bag and strung it up with fishing line. Does a slightly better job than than the mesh in terms of filling the space in the HOB but I think these are a bit large for an AC50 and prolly better suited for canisters and larger HOBs. In terms of space utilization, I think the non ceramic ring style biomax is a better choice for a smaller HOB. I believe there is more surface area available as well.

Back
Top Bottom