AquaClear hang on back filters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an AquaClear 70 hang on back filter, and I pretty much use my own custom media, as I love doing up filters lol.
I know the filter comes with a gauge that lets you control how strong you would like the water flow to be. And I always thought the more flow per hour, the better.
I was reading the instruction manual that comes with the filter, and it states that leaving the gauge on low water flow, actually cleans the tank better.
So the less water per hour flow, the better the water will be...

Is this really true? Anyone have any feedback to this?

I have an AquaClear 70 hang on back filter, and I pretty much use my own custom media, as I love doing up filters lol.
I know the filter comes with a gauge that lets you control how strong you would like the water flow to be. And I always thought the more flow per hour, the better.
I was reading the instruction manual that comes with the filter, and it states that leaving the gauge on low water flow, actually cleans the tank better.
So the less water per hour flow, the better the water will be...

Is this really true? Anyone have any feedback to this?

I'd leave it full flow, the only reason to slow it down would be to accommodate fish that don't like the current. More flow encourages more oxygen exchange.

Both the AquaClear and the Fluval C series have a "patented" flow mechanism that filters the same mount of water at the same speed at the low setting ...... it merely recirculates the water being held back, thereby filtering it more than once before it is released into the tank.

Thus, at the worst, cutting the GPH discharge rate does not adversely affect the GPH rate of filtration.

Both the AquaClear and the Fluval C series have a "patented" flow mechanism that filters the same mount of water at the same speed at the low setting ...... it merely recirculates the water being held back, thereby filtering it more than once before it is released into the tank.

Thus, at the worst, cutting the GPH discharge rate does not adversely affect the GPH rate of filtration.

Thanks for the reply. So where would you think the optimum position would be for the patented flow gauge?
I currently keep it in the middle, as I'm confused about the whole thing.

Last edited:
It's totally up to you and your particular set up. For my betta tank I keep it on the lowest flow rate but for my 20g community I keep it on the highest so I'm getting the most circulation throughout the tank. Keeping it in the middle is likely perfectly fine.

Thanks for the reply. So where would you think the optimum position would be for the patented flow gauge?
I currently keep it in the middle, as I'm confused about the whole thing.

To be honest, I don't think It will really impact it very much so if your getting good results then don't fix what is not broken

To be honest, I don't think It will really impact it very much so if your getting good results then don't fix what is not broken

My tank is actually still cycling. So im not sure which setting would suit best for optimum water quality.
Maybe i'll just leave in middle. Having it on full makes water in filter overflow in areas and bypass filter media.

Whatever setting you set it on will not likely affect your cycling or water chemistry to any significant degree. Ideally you just want there to be enough flow so that are there aren't many dead dead spots in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom