Aquaria Theme Assignment - College Global Citizenship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys and gals! I have a class this semester that is requiring I work as a Global Citizen and participate in helping a foundation that I am passionate about. It's a huge project that accounts for the majority of my grade. I figured the best place to get advice and look around for ideas would be a forum where everyone shares my passions! Hopefully I can get some of you guys on board with me as well since my professor has part of our grade as a documentation section. So perhaps I will include this forum post. :)

So the project is based on helping a global or local foundation through either fundraising, awareness, petitions, etc. I've been researching foundations and I've found one I think I really like.

Adopt a Coral: this foundation allows for donations as well as an adopt a coral option. The single coral option is $50 so I think the end goal would be to see how many I can get adopted. I'm not expecting much but it's the effort that counts - in my opinion.

I would make some sort of pin at my booth in the college for donating that they can wear or a sticker saying they donated or something.

I'm wondering if I should have some sort of sale where they can purchase items such as those rubber arm bands saying some sort of slogan. I'll look up the price of those and what kind of markup I can apply.

I also want to have some sort of participation that is non-donating as fundraising isn't the point of the project and well, college students don't always have spare change. I was thinking perhaps a pledge to more conscious living and efforts to preserve the reefs that I'll get students to sign.

I also need a visual to draw students in. I was considering putting a small picotope on display but it would be difficult to assemble and dismantle during the allotted times throughout the week and the concern lies more within the sake of the animals and inhabitants rather than the visual appeal. So I'm thinking vibrant pictures of corals and reefs and perhaps I'll have a documentary playing on my laptop or a PowerPoint of pictures displaying corals - perhaps I can get pictures from you guys of your favourite corals?

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Comments? Questions? Concerns?

I have to admit I'm pretty excited about this project!

If you are crafty, there are plenty of easy crafty things you can do for support, like pins or keychains or whatnot. Is all of this money out of pocket? If you aren't crafty, look for crafty friends. lol.
One other suggestion would be a fish bowl for change collection to see how many corals you could get the adopted in the college's name. My suspicion is that will get your further than asking individuals since, as you said, college students are not exactly brimming with extra money.
The logistics of a live animal set up are not likely practical, but you would need to scope out the area where you will be setting up and check for things like outlet availability.
Skip the rubber bands. Most people are sick of them. I have at least 5 that have been given to me for supporting various causes, and they are a waste of space at this point.
I definitely suggest either a poster, or one of those tri-fold display boards.
With pictures, make sure you get the photo credits displayed. If you are asking people for pictures, make sure you have their permission to use the pictures.

If you are crafty, there are plenty of easy crafty things you can do for support, like pins or keychains or whatnot. Is all of this money out of pocket? If you aren't crafty, look for crafty friends. lol.
One other suggestion would be a fish bowl for change collection to see how many corals you could get the adopted in the college's name. My suspicion is that will get your further than asking individuals since, as you said, college students are not exactly brimming with extra money.
The logistics of a live animal set up are not likely practical, but you would need to scope out the area where you will be setting up and check for things like outlet availability.
Skip the rubber bands. Most people are sick of them. I have at least 5 that have been given to me for supporting various causes, and they are a waste of space at this point.
I definitely suggest either a poster, or one of those tri-fold display boards.
With pictures, make sure you get the photo credits displayed. If you are asking people for pictures, make sure you have their permission to use the pictures.

I can be crafty! It's all out of pocket money - yes. Ive paid so much in tuition that a putting a hundred bucks into this project isn't gonna hurt lol.

I love the fish bowl idea! I'm thinking I could put a fish bowl donation jar also into a couple work places I know I can get permission to - my parents work places, my boyfriends parents restaurant, etc.

I guess I'm behind on the 'fads' lol. I haven't been in school since grade 9 so thanks for updating me on the rubber bands lol!

I was also thinking about doing a raffle. Two dollars a ticket for a printed coral canvas or something related. Nothing too expensive.

I was definitely going to do the tri fold information boards.

Good point on the photo credits!

Thanks for the response - you have some awesome ideas and comments. Excited!!

I can be crafty! It's all out of pocket money - yes. Ive paid so much in tuition that a putting a hundred bucks into this project isn't gonna hurt lol.

I love the fish bowl idea! I'm thinking I could put a fish bowl donation jar also into a couple work places I know I can get permission to - my parents work places, my boyfriends parents restaurant, etc.

I guess I'm behind on the 'fads' lol. I haven't been in school since grade 9 so thanks for updating me on the rubber bands lol!

I was also thinking about doing a raffle. Two dollars a ticket for a printed coral canvas or something related. Nothing too expensive.

I was definitely going to do the tri fold information boards.

Good point on the photo credits!

Thanks for the response - you have some awesome ideas and comments. Excited!!

No worries. I say that about the rubber bands because we used them for a fundraiser for a friend who in a motorcycle accident like 5 years ago. People hated them, and nobody wore them even though many people cared and supported the project. Live and learn! I also am part of a variety of fundraisers, and we often find that the bets sellers are items that are either practical, or else homemade.
A raffle is awesome. Especially if you can get the word out to older citizens. I have done some very successful raffles.

Back
Top Bottom