Aquarium Cleaning Business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about starting an Aquarium Cleaning business. I would offer weekly matinince, shopping (For fliter media, decorations, food, ect.)and all that other fish related care. I need a unique name and I want to know if anyone would ever use such a service if it was in their area. I also want prices that you would pay for theese services.
Thanks in advance!,
Chris

Chris-

I think that most people on this site are more the DIY hobbyist... Though I bet you could make some money mantaining aquariums in office buildings and hotels and such!

Joe

I wouldn't, mostly because I enjoy cleaning out the aquariums to a certain extent. I feel like I've accomplished something, and made the tank a better place for the fish to live.

However, there are many places, drs offices, restaurants, etc, that don't have the time to do this, and don't have it as a personal hobby.. I'm sure you could get plenty of business.

You can check out related services and ask what they charge. Some LFS do this sort of thing now.

I do it as a business. I charge $70 an hour plus a $20 trip fee. I include all food and filter media in this price. Fro freshwater i go once a month and salt water 1-2 times per month depending on the tank. Feel free to ask me anything that comes to mind.

I've thought about doing that, too, but I don't think I know enough about saltwater to feel comfortable messing with somebody's tank.

I don't think that I'd pay somebody much to clean my tank, because like corty said, I kind of like helping keep my fish happy by cleaning the tank. I might pay, like, $10 for the labor involved, but that would hardly be worth your while. I bet tanks in commercial places like Chinese food restaurants and banks and stuff would be all over your idea, though, and I'm sure you could charge a lot more to do that.

The best part about your idea is the lack of overhead you'll need to get started. Even if you plan on selling filters and stuff, you could always just stop at an LFS on the way to the job if you don't have the one you need in stock, and just mark it up a bit. Most of the chemicals and tools and stuff you'd use are probably things you have for yourself anyhow.

Keep us posted if you decide to do it up. I'd like to hear how it goes!

Well insurance is about $500-600 per year and then the phone book ad is about $125 per month. Than add in cell phone bills and other exspens and it can get close to about $400 per month for a small operation.

If you want some contracts i use i will E-mail them to you at no charge just let me know your E-mail address.

Your business

Well insurance is about $500-600 per year and then the phone book ad is about $125 per month. Than add in cell phone bills and other exspens and it can get close to about $400 per month for a small operation.

If you want some contracts i use i will E-mail them to you at no charge just let me know your E-mail address.

I understand that you are no longer in this business but I have been looking into starting a maintence company. I live in Central Illinois and we really have no business that does this to speak of. Would you be willing to talk about the reasons you got out? Would you still be willing to send those contracts you used? email is coryw12@comcast.net. What advice would you give to someone you wish you knew before you started? Did you lease the equipment?

Thanks for your help
Cory

Back
Top Bottom