Aquarium Co-Op Lead Plant Weights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jahlijah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am creating this post to inform people about lead plant weights sold at various pet stores specifically Aquarium Co-Op. I recently purchased some “fish safe” lead plant weights from Aquarium Co-Op. Let me first just say I love Aquarium Co-Op and this isn’t anything directed against them or to “expose” them or anything like that. Simply to educate those who may already be using these products.

Their site sells these lead plant weights that are labeled as “safe for fish” and when I bought them, like many others on this site I assumed the term “lead” was a term they used to describe the plant weights and that they didn’t actually have lead in them. Especially because they describe the product as “safe for fish.” So I hesitantly emailed them and asked if they were made from lead and they weren’t sure at first. They got back to me a couple days later and informed me they were indeed made from lead. They were super cool about it and refunded me for my purchase. They even changed their description of their product on their site to include “ These contain lead but we have found them to have no impact on fish, shrimp and snails.” in the description.

There are over 105 positive reviews on this product and they may have not known it had actually contained lead the whole time.

My question is: even though this product contains lead (which is supposedly toxic to fish and forsure toxic to humans), do you think it will harm the fish?

Lead does dissolve in water and is toxic to people, especially small children so I presume fish would be even more susceptible. I have some experience in lead contamination in ground.

Lead however dissolves in water very slowly, and takes years of exposure to have an effect (in people). With water changes you are regularly removing what little lead has dissolved and the water conditioner will remove heavy metals as well.

In the UK lead pipework is now banned in water supply systems, but houses built in the 1970s and before will still have this, so that is a significant proportion of our housing stock. Lead water pipework has never been raised as an issue for aquariums and would constitute a bigger threat than a plant weight.

Back
Top Bottom