Aquarium Filter Motor giving off Burning-Rubber Smell? Replacement needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linacrossing

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Aqueon Fish Filter is emitting a burnt-rubber smell from my 10g Aquarium. It was filling up my whole room. I have concluded that it was the motor making the smell, I was wondering if I should get a brand new filter, or if there is a way to keep the filter and fix the problem.

P.S. If I do have to get a new filter, how long (days/hours) can fish go without a filter. Thanks. :fish2:

My Aqueon Fish Filter is emitting a burnt-rubber smell from my 10g Aquarium. It was filling up my whole room. I have concluded that it was the motor making the smell, I was wondering if I should get a brand new filter, or if there is a way to keep the filter and fix the problem.

P.S. If I do have to get a new filter, how long (days/hours) can fish go without a filter. Thanks. :fish2:

I'd just get a new one. Is it still running now?

Yes, I took out the motor and waited for the smell to go away, then put the motor back in and started running it. I can still smell traces of it from the filter but not as bad as it was before. If I do have to shut it off before I go to sleep, how long will my fish survive without a filter?
10gallon
2 sunset platys
2 fancy mollies

Yes, I took out the motor and waited for the smell to go away, then put the motor back in and started running it. I can still smell traces of it from the filter but not as bad as it was before. If I do have to shut it off before I go to sleep, how long will my fish survive without a filter?
10gallon
2 sunset platys
2 fancy mollies

The filter will create oxygen, so I wouldn't leave it off for too long. I'd get a new one as soon as you can. I always have a extra filter tucked in my "fish" closet. My wife thinks I'm crazy, I say I'm prepared :)

Yeah I'd replace it. I had one burn up on me and it sucks. Be sure to save your media, keep it wet and place it in your new filter.

Back
Top Bottom