Aquarium Glass need to be polished?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colloquial penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Looking into building a glass tank and the glass company is charging a lot for polishing the edges.
Does anyone know whether or not the glass needs to be polished?

Thanks for any help!

To the best of my knowledge the polishing smooths the ends and takes away any splinters and sharp edges that are present after cutting. If you capped the edges with some sort of plastic similar to the top and bottom rims of a store bought tank it would give you protection from those edges. I personaly would definitly get it polished just for safety.

Dont know if your looking for a clear finish butba drumal tool would make quick work of it. Just wont have a polish look, it look like sea glass on the edges

I stumbled on to a little trick a couple of years ago to get rid of the sharp edges. My experience with various types of sand paper and abrasive cloths weren't very positive. I found that rubbing the cut edge with another piece of glass (scrap piece or even a jar or bottle) got rid of the sharpness quickly and with minimal effort. You run it across the edge over the length much like you would use a file. This doesn't give you a bevel, but does render it safe. If building a tank the only edges of concern are the exposed ones such as the top edge and outside vertical corners. As well a Dremel type tool with a cylindrical diamond bit will remove material and you can actually bevel the glass. However, before using the Dremel I would still use the glass. I ran this past a club member who has cut thousands of pieces of glass and build hundreds (perhaps thousands of tanks) and he had never heard of doing this. It does work and I used this method on a bunch of braces I made for some tanks I built.

Great, thank you. I'll give it a shot.

Just to clarify - will straight unpolished edges be fine to stick together when building the tank then? i was under the impression they needed to be polished before glueing..

Thanks so much for all the help

use automotive sandpaper and wood block just wear a good pair of gloves. do one edge all the way around then flip do other edge then kinda do a rounded style edge back and forth from edge to edge... if you want good polished edge use water as well...

i did make a diy aquarium few years back without polishing the glass. It was fine without polish. just break the sharp edges with sandpaper. will work fine

Back
Top Bottom