Aquarium issues flex 15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikbb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 15 gallon fluval flex with plants. I can't seem to get rid of like brown and green algae. The brown is worse than the green. Is the filter and pump crappy? Do I need to get a better filter? I tried more light, I added an air stone. I use co2 liquid.

I have a 20 gallon with plants and that tank is rocking good.

So I have no idea what's up with the 15 gallon. The 20 gallon also has 2 hob filters. I think I need a better filter for the 15.

How old is the tank? Is it cycled? I dont see how upgrading a filter can help with algae and/or diatoms unless your filter simply isnt capable of cycling your tank.

Red/brownish algae

How old is the tank? Is it cycled? I dont see how upgrading a filter can help with algae and/or diatoms unless your filter simply isnt capable of cycling your tank.

Yea the tank is like a year old. I scrapped the last setup, thought it was the substrate but I still have the same issue. I have plants in there but they don't grow. They just live. The anbuios plant grows and once it gets covered it grows another leaf. Lol.

The tank is cycled. Yea I think the filter or pump that comes with it sucks and doesn't do a good job.

Here's the tank

20210421_114516.jpg

Here's the full tank, that red brownish algae covers everything. And even if I scrape the glass it covers everything else.

Please help!

What is your nitrate level? Diatoms feed on high nitrates.

Green algae will out compete brown algae, so increased lighting should help. You have already tried that though.

High silicates in your water? But it isnt effecting your other tank.

Good water movement helps and filtration. My understanding is that the filters are pretty good on those tanks. Im thinking of getting one of those for the dining room, but will get the media basket upgrades by inTank.

You could try something to eat the diatoms. Nerite snails?

If manually removing it from surfaces, make sure you arent just removing it into the water as it will just re-cover available surfaces. Wipe bottom to top, and then rinse your sponge outside of the tank. Then do a water change to remove what you can that is still freefloating.

Cant help very much, sorry. You seem to have tried the obvious things.

Yea, I have 2 snails in there. I should try to do more water changes. 1 year old tank shouldn't have all those diatoms in there. I think I need to do a better job on maintenance. Why don't the plants grow?

Back
Top Bottom