Aquarium light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adri_dand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Happy New Year!!!

I'm writing to all of you in hopes of understanding something i find quite bothersome. The point of an aquarium light is to be able to switch it on, and enjoy the vibrant colors of wonderful fish swimming about... RIGHT???? .......

Well, everytime I switch on the light, my fish go crazy! One of them actually bumps into everything, plants, walls, GRAVEL!!.... Ok ok... i know that the light change stresses the fish out for a while.... but a while seems to be the WHOLE time the light is on.

The fish hide until the light is turned off... FRUSTRATING......

I want to mention that I leave the light in the room on for at least 45 mins before turning on the aquarium's light.... (flourescent)... Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can remedy this problem???

Thanks!!

I have a pleco, red tetras, and 3 tiger barbs.....
The only fish that freak out are the tiger barbs.

The tank is 20 gallons, with an aqua-glo 15 W bulb

Many barbs spawn in the morning when the lights come on. Males find a good spot for scattering eggs and brush against it to show the females and try to entice them to spawn. Alot a chasing goes on too. This isn't what is happening is it? Or are they just scared? If they are scared, putting the light on a timer might help, so that it happens regularly and they can get used to it.

The barbs are healthy, yes they chase eachother all around the tank, which I know is normal, and i don't think any spawning is happening :).... Any idea on how much time it will take to get them used to the light being turned on?

How long to keep the light on each day... Should it be turned on in the morning, and turned off around 10 o'clock?

If you are not growing plant, it shouldn't matter much when and how long the light is on as long as you give the fish some dark time at night. You can set it to be on all day or just the hours when you are usually home to enjoy your tank. As to how long it will take for your fish to get used to it, I would give them a couple of weeks at least. Feeding them shortly after the light comes on might help.

Thanks for the info,

I don't have live plants in the tank, so I guess I'll try setting it to switch on around 1 or 2 pm. Gonna give it a couple of weeks. Hopefully it all works out!

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

I love tiger barbs - I have six and they school together very tightly. I've never noticed them freaking out when the light comes on. In fact, they're always front and center begging for food when the light is on. Maybe if you got three more tiger barbs of the same size, they would feel more secure. That is, if you have room for them. HTH

Yes i have been wanting to get 3 more tiger barbs actually! It's great how they chase eachother al around the tank, awesome fish!.

I will definately go get some tomorrow! :)

Tiger barbs will generally loose all their color if they are scared and stressed out. It is something i learned from keeping them myself.

So are you saying that I should refrain from turning on my light in attempt to get them used to it?

I truly believe that adding more tiger barbs will help to calm the others.

Adding more barbs will reduce the agression. I kept 6 and it reduced it greatly. There was another post saying "get a tiemr" i whole-heartedly agree with that as the more you regulate your light on/off times. I personally keep my light on for apx 14 hours due to my live plants growing. Do the barbs loose their color when you turn your light on or just go crazy?

I'm not exactly sure if they lose their color, one of them may be a bit less colorful than when i bought them, but basically, they go ballistic!!!

(I can't take the NHL lockout anymore :cry:
Flames are awesome!! )

Off topic: I am so glad that i can watch some junior hockey to help my hockey cravings!! oh and the Fiancee is a Canadians fan so it is a bitter rivalry here (especially since i make her constantly aware of the 88-89 stanley cup series) ... then again she reminds me of the cups they won. ah well, its all in good fun.

now back to on topic....

Barbs are an extremely agressive/active fish. my angels and rainbows go haywire as well when my light goes on. I think it is fairly common going ons (i think). How much research have you done on them?

Off topic: Yes thank heavens for Junior championship! Truly think we'll win this time! (knock on wood). And yes GO HABS GO ;) 88-89.... no comment... :mrgreen: could imagine the convos....

I haven't really done much research on them to tell you the truth. I'm fairly new to the whole aquarium hobby. Having many problems but refuse to give up! One of my tiger barbs is actually sick now, and i haven't a QT tank to treat it in.

I guess that I'll try doing some more research online in hopes of incresing my knowledge on this topic.

what sort of problems are you having? Just hope that your tetras are good and fast. Tiger barbs get fairly agressive and will probably pick on or kill off your tetras if they can catch them. a QT tank is a great thing. I have been in the hobby for over 3 years now and just lost mine (someone actually broke the whole thing when they drunkenly stumbled into the makeshift stand i had. Really pissed me off but it happens!) I can recommend some sites for fish profiles if you would like. just private message me if you are interested. It is nice to see such enthusiasm! Kudos to you!

well, one of the tiger barbs is constantly still at a 90 degree angle, she eats normally, and seems to have a bit less color than she used to. all water parameters are in check..... My tetras are fine, the barbs never pick on them actually. Sorry to hear bout your QT tank....

I should probably invest in one to try and treat my barb. I tried feeding it a pea as she could be constipated. But didn't seem to work. Any suggetions?

best advice is to watch the barb and get a QT tank setup and ccled pretty fast (this can be done by using some water from your existing tank when you syphon it out.) Eating normally is a good thing, so just keep an eye out on the barb. Also, when you get a chance i would go out and get 3 or more barbs to put in your tank. They do so much better when there are 6 or more of them together schoolign around the tank

I have noticed that when i personally turn the lights on or off, my 'more intelligent' fish, like my keyhole cichlids, go crazy. When i got a timer they where completely fine with the light turning on and off. Maybe because they are thinking i'm going to unplug the tank competely or something? Anyway, a timer is very good, after a while the fish will get used to the timer settings and won't be spooked anymore by lights going on and off.
How big is your tank btw?

J'espère que tu as beaucoup de chance avec ton aquarium! Salut!

Back
Top Bottom