Aquarium newbie, need some ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akweerim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with plenty of aeration and filtration. Lots of places to hide and about 2 inches of normal aquarium gravel.

I already have 3 guppies in the tank that I just added today. I would like some helpful advice on other kinds of fish that would mend well with the guppies, as well as how many fish I should keep in this size tank.

ForumRunner_20120826_181711.jpg

I'd look into some of the smaller cory types, honey or sparkling gourami, and maybe some cardinal tetras.

I'd look into some of the smaller cory types, honey or sparkling gourami, and maybe some cardinal tetras.

I was searching smaller cory types, and I'm worried that after a few years they might mature to a bigger size and not play nice with the rest of the fish in the community. Is this a concern or am I just being crazy? Thanks! :fish2:

6-7 Corydoras habrosus would be really good, don't grow that big and are as peaceful as you can get. The only thing that concerns me is your gravel, Corydoras do prefer a sand substrate or at least smooth gravel, if it's got jagged edges it will effect the Cory's little tentacles and can cause infection in some cases.

Last edited:
6-7 Corydoras habrosus would be really good, don't grow that big and are as peaceful as you can get.

Thank you very much, I really like the look of those fish! But from what I've read they should have a fine sand substrate which I don't have =\

I have mine in a tank with smooth gravel and they are fine, pick a few pieces of gravel out and feel it, if it's jagged or rough go for something different. It's not so much that it should be sand it's the texture of the substrate that counts.

Your gravel looks pretty smooth so I think some Cory's should be fine. Just watch their "whiskers" and If they start to get torn or get shorter then you might have to rehome them. Also look into dwarf gouramis and maybe ghost shrimp. Those are fun to watch and easy to take care of

Back
Top Bottom