Aquarium plants & Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgan_got_fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

So i have a healthy planted ten gallon, theres only one problem. I have an algae problem in my tank and i was just wondering how i could make all just disappear? I do weekly water changes and clean the tank every week.

Heres the tank and lighting.

The bulb is an 18" plant and aquarium. It is a t8.

Attachments

• image-4288501370.jpg
    image-4288501370.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1844260739.jpg
    image-1844260739.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3822969275.jpg
    image-3822969275.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 57
You've cyanobacteria, also called blue green algae or BGA.

Things you can do:

Spot treat with H2O2
Extended blackout (3-4 days)

But I would recommend doing a course of Erythromycin on the tank, as I've never had much luck with the above cures. Fortunately for you, a 10g is fairly small tank and therefore easier (less $$$) to dose.

BGA is usually caused by one or more of the following: very low nitrate, too much light, poor tank hygiene, or poor circulation. Given your setup, I find light an unlikely cause, nitrate a possibility, but probably the problem lies in the latter two.

Thanks! I think im going to try the extended black out first. Im kind of tight on budget for the tank but if it comes down to it, i might spend some money to kill the algae. I have the lights on a timer everyday for 11 hours of light.

You only need your lights on 6-8 hours a day in a planted tank. Extended photoperiods tend to encourage algae growth.

You might also think about cutting down your photoperiod to 8 hours or so from now on as well.

As far as blackout goes, I would spot treat with H2O2 if you happen to have it. The stuff in the brown bottle that most people use for would treatment works fine and is super cheap (<$1 in many places). I would also physically remove all of it that you can. It should come off in clump/sheets and smell rather earthy. When you do the actual blackout, tape black plastic to the tank on all sides to COMPLETELY black it out. It's usually not enough to just leave the lights off and continue letting ambient light in.

As an aside, the erythromycin treatment will probably cost $8-15, depending on where you are and whatnot. Maracyn I is what you need.

Oh okay, sounds good. I think il just my timer on from 3p.m. to around 9 or something like that.

Thanks aqua_chem again. Do you think that i would be able to just cover my tank with a blanket and just have an air pump running?

Recommended dosage for peroxide is 1-4 mL/gal. I would probably administer it in 1mL/gal increments, waiting 5-10 min between doses.

I have snails, and I have MTS and got my first assassin snail today. He went right at it!! I have noticed a decrease in overall algae. But I bow to Aquachem's suggestion and I think they carry Erythromycin and Peroxide @ walmart. I know you can get the meds cheap online.

My worry about that is that I dont think much of anything will eat bga, assuming thats what it is. Was I correct when I said that it would smelly funny and come off in clumps?

It sure looks like bga and bga is toxic to all life in enough quantity so I doubt the snails are eating it.

Well i tore out all of it that i could. It just smelt like something i would normally pull out of the tank. Ive noticed that most the fish in my tank will munch on some of the algae but its nothing big.

Back
Top Bottom