aquarium salt bath question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemmie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I just got 2 dwarf gouramis from the pet store and they told me gouramis need aquarium salt. My tank is well-cycled with tons of shrimp and a few loaches in it already and I read about the whole 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon thing.

But the aquarium store guy told me to use the salt differently. He said I should put about an inch of salt on the bottom of a mug and place the mug in my tank so the gouramis could bathe in it. It was news to me, though I'm no fish expert. Is this a common practice? Is it a gourami thing? I tried looking up more information on it online, but I can't find anything.

I have never heard of anything even remotely like that in my life. It sounds like a really bad idea to me. It might take a few days, but all the salt *will* eventually dissolve, and then you're gonna have some really salty water.

I've never had aquarium salt in my community tank, and the gouramis I have put in there have always done just fine.

I never heard of that before for the gouramis, but you can add salt to the tank. But I recommend 1 teaspoon per 10G. Especially if you have loaches. I wouldn't go too much more than that.

As for salt baths, they are mainly for curing some diseases, etc. It's where you make a salt solution, and add the fish affected for a certain amount of time, then place back into the tank. Other than that, I haven't heard of the practice they are telling you.

Lemmie said:
He said I should put about an inch of salt on the bottom of a mug and place the mug in my tank so the gouramis could bathe in it.
This is a practice that requires a special type of salt, and regardless is not suited for gouramis anyway, so I will not elaborate further.

Thanks to everybody for their input. I thought it sounded kinda weird, though I'd still like to learn more about it! For now, I'll just add 1 tsp/10 gal like LoneWolf recommended, to spare the loaches and plants. Thanks!

I'm currently adding that same amount in my 75G, and have no problems with any of the fish or plants. Had a minor problem with something killing my fish off, and causing some of the GBR's to surface, but none of the other fish. Was thinking Flukes. Ever since adding the salt, I'm noticing they are surfacing less and less. I might up the dose just a little more and see if I can eliminate the problem once and for all.

Lonewolfblue said:
But I recommend 1 teaspoon per 10G. Especially if you have loaches. I wouldn't go too much more than that.

wolf, are you saying that loaches should have salt, or only use salt per 10 gallons because you have loaches.

im sure you meant the latter, as loaches dont have scales, right?

Generally a "salt bath" is used to treat a sick fish. I never heard of placing a "salt bath" in your tank and I can't imagine how one would keep the salt in the cup.

Loaches generally don't like salt. But 1tsp per 10G is a safe amount for loaches and plecos, IME. Mine are doing just fine with that amount, and are thriving..

Back
Top Bottom